Part missing on this wheeled string trimmer?

clusters4400

Threads
Hello!

I took this job on "contract" as a coworker complained that it didn't run. so I put it on and found the wonderful jelly in the carb. got it all cleaned out(on the 2nd attempt:mad:) and it came back to life. the problem is, they engineered some contraption out of a coat hanger(which is now removed), as there is clearly some piece missing. I have identified that in fact the governor spring is MIA. but I am wondering, is that all that is missing? as you can see in the picture, the throttle cable is hooked to the plate, then to nothing, is this where the governor spring is to attach? I have looked up the exploded parts diagram, on both the B/S engine and the Troy Bilt site to boot, but cannot seem to find this "phantom" piece.

B&S - 120ho2-0109-d1
Troy Bilt - 52063

0607180710.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Governor spring would go between eye at item 1 and the eye in your circled area marked governor linkage. The throttle cable would hook to the area with a clamp marked at item 3 but actually bolts to the area facing up and down in front of the cover that looks identical to the item in 3 and the cable Z bend in the small hole at item 4 mystery

clusters4400

Threads
thanks for the response, I am still a bit confused. I get that the spring goes between 1 and gov linkage.

but the remaining information is a bit fuzzy.

Is there a shroud/cover piece that has some of linkage on the bottom that is supposed to bolt in there? I can only assume that the actual throttle cable is in fact hooked into the right area, as it works the whole mechanism, it just doesn't have any sort of control over the throttle plate, does it play "tug of war" with the governor linkage?

Could this be the missing item? 922a/923a the brake?

brake.gif

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That engine comes with the throttle cable hooked up across the front of the engine, as yours is or down the right side depending upon the fitting.
when hooked up down the side you need the link rod between 1 & 4 , on yours you don't need it but you can not remove it or item 4 will flail around.
Bolt hole 3 is the clamping point for the side entry throttle cable which you do not have so is redundant.
As Illengine has already mentioned you are missing the governor spring.
As you worked out the throttle and the governor play a tug of war on the carb butterfly via the governor spring that is missing.
Getting the correct one is the problem as there 3 or 4 of them

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hole number 3 is for an auxiliary control cover ordered by the units manufacturer. It will get screwed into that hole to help keep that area clean. If you don’t have a throttle control on the handle, that mystery part is your manual throttle control. As stated the governor control spring goes from the hole in part #1 to the ring opening in part #2. Hole in #5 is not used.

clusters4400

Threads
Thanks for the info guys. I suppose all these "extra" holes and such is that, you have to bear in mind that it is likely they use this power plant on more than just this here trimmer.

So ill get the governor spring and restore it to "fully functional" state. He can hunt down any missing plastic peices as I'm not getting paid for this job. But the experience is what I'm after and if I do find the right spring ill call this job complete and lessons learned!

The second cleaning of the carb taught me to pay attention to the small inlet near the emulsion tube. Cleaned that and pow!

Thanks again guys!

Threads
The spring you need is Part number 699056 and the round part of the spring goes in the big hole in # 1 then the push end
of it goes in # 2 eye hole......

The picture diagram you put up is for the kill and brake assembly............

The # 4 mystery is a manual throttle control. for fast and slow speeds.........

Hope this helps....... Mon Ami ~!~!