Yazoo jack shaft failure/repair

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
pep, did you miss my questions a few posts back?

Threads
My neighbor has a friend with a Yazoo.... I'll get with him to get it back here so I can take a pic..... I remember those when I was in elementary school... 3 of them on the schools grounds cutting grass at all times....

We had a Yazoo Dealer and Snapper dealer in our town.....

1pep

Threads
pep, did you miss my questions a few posts back?

cpuris,

I sure did, got side tracked with the non existent grains in the aluminum used.

There are two sealed bearings, in a sleeve with a concave slot, dead center.

IMG_2230.jpg

Has an allen head screw with a pointed end, block is drilled and tapped. Screw sets and locates the bearing housing and shaft. Preventing horizontal movement of same.

pep

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
cpuris,

View attachment 38650

Has an allen head screw with a pointed end, block is drilled and tapped. Screw sets and locates the bearing housing and shaft. Preventing horizontal movement of same.

pep

Thanks! Good work!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Everytime I use my old Murray's, ( 13-14) yrs. old ) I'm glad I bought used, .. and rebuilt them, learned a lot, cried a lot, but the trip is always a good one, shame they don't build em like back in 50's & 60's ..... My dad had about a 50's model Jacobsen Lawn-Queen, reel-type gas mower, THAT thing was grenade-proof !! Here's a link to one restored, .. AHhhhh memories !! .. :thumbsup:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69932

1pep

Threads
Thanks! Good work!

Thanks cpurvis,

Glad I could offer up some useful information.
pep

Everytime I use my old Murray's, ( 13-14) yrs. old ) I'm glad I bought used, .. and rebuilt them, learned a lot, cried a lot, but the trip is always a good one, shame they don't build em like back in 50's & 60's ..... My dad had about a 50's model Jacobsen Lawn-Queen, reel-type gas mower, THAT thing was grenade-proof !! Here's a link to one restored, .. AHhhhh memories !! .. :thumbsup:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69932

Cut my first lawn with a Briggs and Station reel-type, 50's, were touted as a good quality mower. The reel-types, always produced a clean & consistent grass hight or depth. Like the Yazoo and what I like so much about the mower. Looking over the yard, it flows out like a carpet.

And no not a yard nitpicker......

I do prefer a self-powered walk behind over a ride around. Have an acre can cut it in just under and hour. To me the walk behind is more maneuverable and therefor cuts the mowing time.

pep

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
cpuris,

View attachment 38650

pep

Well actually the aluminium block does have a grain, but you will need to polish it to at least 600 grit then acid etch it to see it.
If it was cold extruded then you will also need a good strong magnifier.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is going off the thread I know, but I to prefer the good old self-powered walk behinds compared to today's gentleman's toy's....

Sorry Admin.....had to say it...!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Dad's first mower had a horizontal shaft Clinton engine with a twisted belt drive spinning a circular steel disk with blades from a sickle bar mower attached to it.

The thing was HEAVY but I like the idea of the sickle bar blades on the disk. I don't remember how they were attached. On a sickle bar, they're riveted.

Attachments

• Sickle bar blade.JPG
    Sickle bar blade.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 2

1pep

Threads
An interesting amazon story, truth be known, the last place I look for parts.The jack shaft repair, working flawlessly. Last spring hear what sounds like a bearing failing, Shaft, hub #35. Lubed them having access from under the 2 grove pulley.IMG_0687.jpeg

As any knowns parts for the Yazoo are pretty much unavaliable, easy 90%. Stumbled onto some listings for some part, of all places amazon? Useing the Yazoo bearing number, boom to my supprise... score.

It gets better, have the mower in the air, working my way in for access to the bearings. Pull the blad and find, it was not the bearing.

It was what is called a blade adapter #32, had shattered and was destructing. Thinking this could be a real problem, about 30% of it was chunks, scraping in the housing, hence the failing bearing noise.

Cleaned out the chunks, look closely, considering the possibility and damage that might occur down the road. And what snow balls chance in hell that I could find this, a bronze casting.

Finding the bearing, gave amazon another shot .............. blow me away they had about a dozen, so got 2. IMG_0686.jpeg