Yazoo jack shaft failure/repair

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here we call it ....engineers blue

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have purchased 2 of these and reworked the mounting bracket.
pillow block bearings.jpg

1pep

Threads
Why reinvent the wheel, when simply making a stronger more robust part. Will, drop in and meet the existing engineering requirement.

Using pillow bearings, would require more than drilling a few holes in the deck. First problem to solve, the chain drive side not shown. The diameter is aprox 4 inches, a pillow bearing having the same ID used for the belt & chain drives. Will require a riser to be built in order to gain the proper clearances.

Second problem to be addressed: the alignment of the two shafts. The one we are talking about and the one that drives the wheels.

What I'm making is a much easier way to rectify the broken casting. It has taken a few hours of machining, and confident when the paint drys, it drops in place and off to the races.

just saying

pep

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I should have said with the tools that I have I would have done it this way. All I would need is a plate of appropriate thickness and size to raise the platform to the correct height and attach the pillow bearings. You can also place the pillow bearings as far apart as you want so less stress would be put on the support. I would have made it support the outsides of the shaft and left the center unsupported. That wouls be a much stronger setup.

With that said I was looking at your pictures and it looks like you created your hole with the grain that looks to me would be the weak point and allow it to fail again. I have circled some of the grain marks that I think will give you problems. Way more grain marks than I can mark.
yazoo.jpg

GrassBarber

Threads
Machinists call it Prussian Blue ......... Jet Eng. Mechs call it Blue Dykem !

I once sent a young aircraft mechanic looking for it, I called it K9P dye.

Man was he hot when he eventually figured he had been gotten

1pep

Threads
Finished the machining, slotted the mounting tabs. Painted & installed, test drive.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

This mower will cut.........:laughing:

pep

With that said I was looking at your pictures and it looks like you created your hole with the grain that looks to me would be the weak point and allow it to fail again. I have circled some of the grain marks that I think will give you problems. Way more grain marks than I can mark.
View attachment 38554

Grain marks ?

The aluminum is 6061, one of its many uses, commercial aircraft landing gears ...

pep

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Twas the sun-filled night, of a star filled day, when 2 dead boys went out to play, .. back to back, they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
Ya'll KWITCHERBITCHIN, and enjoy a marvelous piece of machinery !!

00p0p_7ehucFjkILK_1200x900.jpg

1pep

Threads
Twas the sun-filled night, of a star filled day, when 2 dead boys went out to play, .. back to back, they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
Ya'll KWITCHERBITCHIN, and enjoy a marvelous piece of machinery !!

View attachment 38569

Is that your T bucket, what year is the body ?

pep

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple of questions:

What keeps the shaft from moving horizontally?

Did you provide for lubrication, such as a grease zerk?

Thanks!