Repairs Scag tiger wont start

mervos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys, I have read a few posts on electrical issues on a scag and have used them to do some trouble shooting but am still not sure the problem. would like some advice. I have a scag STT61V-27CH turf tiger. I bought it used about 4 years and it has run well. about a year ago it started having issues where I would turn the ignition key and nothing would happen. then for after trying a few times or getting on and off and checking things and it would start. some times it would go months with no issues. a couple weeks ago I mowed my lawn and shut it off and sense then it wont start. I turn the key and nothing. I checked the PYO switch and got inconsistent readings so I replaced it. I check all 4 of the safety triggers and the fuses. all good. I arched it off the starter solenoid and it started. but it would actually engage the engine maybe 1 out of 10-15 try's, the rest the starter would just spin. I figure it might be a starter solenoid issue and I should just replace it. but I can't seem to find where to get one online. so two questions. what do you think the problem is? and if it's the starter where can I get the correct one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scag wiring diagrams are a joke.
Pretty, but a joke just the same.

There is a starting relay as well as the delay module that you might like to have a look at.
The starter solenoids on the engines are part of the stater motor and not sold as a part.
You can take them to an auto electrician for repair or to get replacement solenoids through them, but not through a mower shop.

Luffydog

Threads
You can get those solenoids at a shop. If you can you use a test light and a volt meter it's pretty simple. There is 15 ways that a scag will not start but only one way that it will and that one way is if everything is working correctly. If you want to see a joke for wiring look at a bad boy.

mervos

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wanted to thank you guys for answering. And a special thanks to Bertsmobile1. it was the Module. I never would have figured that out. took me long enough with the parts just to find it in the diagram. it's also annoying to replace with the cable going right over the nut. I dropped the nut like 5 times, but in the end it worked and cranks right up now. thanks again for the Help.

Thanks, Alan