Engine lgt2654 gas tank removal to rid of probable old gas and water

ostewart

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / lgt2654 gas tank removal to rid of probable old gas and water
Hi, New here.

We have five acres to mow on rough, unlandscaped field. The riding mower is about six years old. Old gas was left in winter gas tank and the moisture needs to be cleared. But getting out the whistish plastic tank from under the seat is a mystery. Removing discovered bolts did not do much.

Right now the mower will stall on occasion, if it starts all. I am guessing the water is the problem, after having checked out most all else.

Any ideas? Thanks! oran

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you ain't going to like this.
You have to remove or at least lift up the entire rear body section to get the tank out.
The rear section is bolted to the frame under the operators console ( turret to some ).
That will require removing the battery & battery support then undo the 4 to 8 bolts that hold the turret down.
Get under the mower & remove the steering gear from the end of the shaft so it can be pulled up.
Remove the seat and the seat springs which also hold the rear body to the frame.
If yours has levers poking through the guards set them to a position that will not foul as it is lifted.
Raise & choke , block , hang the guard as high as it will go ,
Remove the fuel outlet from the tank then wiggle it out on the right side.

You can just winch up the rear after removingthe seat & springs but that always puts a couple of creases in the foot boards where the turret clamps down on the real body pressing.
This compromises the coating and the strength of the body pannel which will start rusting around the creases.

ostewart

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're right, I don't like it at all. But thank you for your response. Too bad that that mower requires such a long response, complicated. In all, it sounds like one must take the whole machine near completely apart. With my marginal 'putting back together' skills, I better not mess with it, beyond maybe using syphoning. My efforts so far with such things only leave a trail of broken machines and appliances.

Oran

Well you ain't going to like this.
You have to remove or at least lift up the entire rear body section to get the tank out.
The rear section is bolted to the frame under the operators console ( turret to some ).
That will require removing the battery & battery support then undo the 4 to 8 bolts that hold the turret down.
Get under the mower & remove the steering gear from the end of the shaft so it can be pulled up.
Remove the seat and the seat springs which also hold the rear body to the frame.
If yours has levers poking through the guards set them to a position that will not foul as it is lifted.
Raise & choke , block , hang the guard as high as it will go ,
Remove the fuel outlet from the tank then wiggle it out on the right side.

You can just winch up the rear after removingthe seat & springs but that always puts a couple of creases in the foot boards where the turret clamps down on the real body pressing.
This compromises the coating and the strength of the body pannel which will start rusting around the creases.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Done it a few times and yes a regular PIA of a job.
If you search on U-Tube for leaking John Deer tanks there are several videos of people getting the tank out.
Body wise they are the same tractors.

OTOH you can drain the tank and let it dry out blow compressed air back up the fuel lines.
Got a long air duster and put it down the filler hole and blow for a good 10 minutes.