Echo Engines Die When Pressing Throttle

GAVolunteer

Threads
Echo PPT-260 Telescoping Chain Saw SN 06005889
Echo PE-200 Edger SN 05003849

I have two Echo two-cycle engines doing the same thing. They start fine and idle fine. But when I throttle the engine up, both die. I can get the chain saw to somewhat work by closing the choke about 80%, but as soon as I turn the choke off and rev the engine, it dies.

They both have Zama Carbs. There are no High-Low needles on these carbs. Rather than a throttle plate, they both have a black plastic “rotor” with a hole in the middle that rotates to regulate the amount of air.

I’ve replaced the fuel lines and fuel filters on both. I replaced the two carb to engine gaskets on the Edger with OEM parts. I purchased a new non-oem carb for the edger and the new carb does the same thing as the old carb.

I took the Chainsaw carb apart and cleaned it. The gaskets looked fine so I did not replace them.

I’m perplexed as to why both have identical problems. I’m missing something. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd suggest adding a small capfull of Seafoam to the fuel mix in their tanks, shake well & keep trying them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Whenever you pull a cube carb apart you must replace the gaskets.
If you are cheap you can soak them in warm WD 40, but only the gasket, not the diaphragm .
The carb has to be airtight to work.
The tank has to be airtight to work and also must not overpressurise.
There is a filter inside the carb that gets blocked.
In order to work, the fuel pump needs impulse power ( beam me up Scottie ) from the crankcase so the tube / slot / hole must be intact & unobstructed.

In order to suck fuel into the engine the crank case seals must be in good condition.

Then there is the cylinder & ring.

Pull the muffler off and have a look at the piston & the rings.
Any scoring and the thing is toast .

You can get replacement cylinder & piston kits but the price is not much less than a replacement engine.