High RPM- not effected by changing throttle- 15.5 HP

jacksanders

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / High RPM- not effected by changing throttle- 15.5 HP
I have a 3-4 years old 15.5 HP Briggs on a Troy Bilt 42 in Pony riding mower. While mowing today, I stopped, disengaged the blades/ deck- backed up, re-engaged the blades/ deck and when I did that the engine kicked into very high RPM- higher then I could previously get at the highest throttle setting. Reducing the throttle had no effect- high RPMs continued. This a Briggs & Stratton 31R707.0001- Model 210000.

In looking on the carburetor when I move my throttle lever, it really does not seems to move the control on the carburetor hardly at all.

Contacted B&S support- they said could be governor spring- from what I can see it is not broken and appears to be still connected to the governor arm and the throttle lever linkage.

Even though it's reving way to high, I don't think the governor is busted internally as logically I would think the throttle would still modify the RPMs even if the governor is busted.

Any other ideas? In googling this issue found it a couple of times but never saw a resolution in those forums.

Thanks for any help- even if I can't fix, I'd like to know potential causes/ fixes if I deal with a repair shop.

Threads
See if you can throttle down by hand.... You should take the air filter cover off for more access to the linkages then you will see the rod well....

If you have to have the internal parts changed you can do that yourself........

Threads
One other thing, when you are moving the throttle arm look in back of the control bracket and see if that spring is on good, not just hanging there....

That is your gov spring .........