SCAG OEM blades

jer_d

Forum Newbie
Threads
The blades I've bought from my local SCAG dealer for my TigerCat 2 52 inch deck are .250 inch thick but were expensive (three blades for about $75) compared to what I've seen online as OEM replacement. The OEM replacement blades are listed at .206 inches thick. Is there that much difference in quality, or life of the blade versus the cost of the OEM from the dealer?

Thanks

Sweats

Threads
The blades I've bought from my local SCAG dealer for my TigerCat 2 52 inch deck are .250 inch thick but were expensive (three blades for about $75) compared to what I've seen online as OEM replacement. The OEM replacement blades are listed at .206 inches thick. Is there that much difference in quality, or life of the blade versus the cost of the OEM from the dealer?

Thanks

This might not help you out this time around but maybe you can use it for future reference. I saw some blades online this past weekend that were listed as authentic Scag replacement blades. While that's legal - they were authentic blades, and they could be used to replace Scag blades - everything about the ad was dubious at best. Then I looked on Amazon and found a set of six Oregon G5 Gators through EPR DIstribution for $79.99 and free shipping. They're 21" blades for a 61" deck. I ordered them on Sunday and they arrive tomorrow (Wednesday and that wasn't Amazon Prime). Or, maybe if you can return the blades you just bought, maybe this info could help you this time around. They probably sell a set for a 52" deck too. Good luck.

Edit: Just looked up what appears to be your size blade in a G6 (which, as it turns out, looks to be about, if not exactly, the thickness of your new blades) on Amazon. Looks like you'd save a couple of bucks but not much. I guess if you have the horses to run the heavier blades then maybe you stick with what you bought. There are plenty of opinions for and against using the heavier blades, but I'll leave that to somebody else to argue. I'm happy with my decision. I hope you're okay with yours in the end.

Last edited:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run 4 Tiger Cat 52" mowers. All we run are Oregon aftermarket blades on them. Our dealer has them for $8.00 each blade.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Thanks

If the manufacturers blades are .250" thick and the supposedly OEM replacement blades are .206" thick then they are not exact replacement blades are they ?
Now in some cases the thinner blades are made from a better quality steel with better heat treatment.
In others it is just a blade made for another mower with the same length & mounting holes.
No mower company makes their own blades so the blade making factory ( OEM ) will be making a lot of blades for a lot of mowers and a lot of after market suppliers.

Or to put it another way, a factory in say China makes the blades for 'CutsAll" mowers.
The CutsAll QC team inspect them all at the factory and rejects 50 % of them, the good ones get CutsAll stamped into them and a part number, but what happens to the rejects ?
They get sold on line as OEM blades in total truth as they came out of the same factory , made on the same machines as the original blades, but they ain't the same are they ?

Ever wondered how you get so many unbranded really cheap parts sold on line ?

jer_d

Forum Newbie
Threads
I measured the thickness of the blades that came on the Tiger Cat, yesterday after getting home, with the same digital calipers I used in measuring the high priced blades. The original blades measured .206 inches in thickness. So, I'm thinking I will keep the new thicker blades just to see if they make a difference in the mowing and life of the blade, which you'd think the extra thickness would but is really worth the cost? I guess it'll depend on how long they last (if can keep from mowing any rocks).