Repairs 8241AE self-propelled problem

kawklx300

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I recently bought an 8241AE and have been having problems with the self-propelled mechanism.

When I bought it, the self propel seemed to work great. I had to collapse the handlebar to get it in the vehicle when taking it home. Also, the deck was set quite a bit lower than I wanted, so I raised it.

What I notice now is that I can get the right wheel adjusted to the correct gap, but the left wheel (the one with the spring) is not moving towards the roller. The gap is quite a bit bigger on the left. In fact, when I engage the drive, the left wheel seems to tilt back a bit, like the axle is pivoting under the deck, rather than moving uniformly one direction.

I do not have a working mower available to compare to, to see how the mechanism is supposed to work. Maybe I am overlooking something in the online manual I found, but all I see is that the gap between the wheel and roller is supposed to be 3/16", and if it is not when I pull up on the clutch rod, I should adjust the bolt in the slot on the right side to make it so.

Any ideas of what to look at to get the gap correct on the left side?

Thanks for any help.