A comparison of blades (Raptor/Fastrak)

mooch91

Threads
This weekend I will give a shot to running the stock blades (797696) at left and center, and the high lift blade (602416) on the right/discharge side. This may help balance the performance of both styles of blades. I will report back with my observations.

I ran this experiment last night, and nothing negative to report. I was able to single cut the lawn this time (usually I need a double cut to disperse all of the clippings), but this may or may not have been a result of the blade combination.

There were two conditions worth noting as they may have made more of a difference than the blades themselves:
  • Cut conditions were near perfect. Only 4 days since my last cut, lawn was completely dry, and atmosphere was dry as well. Temps have been cool at night (50-60) and not too bad during the day (70-80) this past week. Obviously, the mower always does better in these types of conditions.
  • I also installed the Hustler striping kit (flap at the back of the deck) before cutting, so the intensity of the stripes produced was greater.

Clippings dispersed very well, no clumping at all, deck was clean when I was done. Still a couple of stragglers on each pass if you get down close to the lawn level to look (I'm on a slight hill, so the stragglers can sometimes be easier to see). Most significantly, like I mentioned earlier, only a single cut was required to get good dispersal.

I'll run this combination for a while and see how it works out. Pictures later, though it's hard to show cut quality comparisons in a picture.

mooch91

Threads
I ran this experiment last night, and nothing negative to report. I was able to single cut the lawn this time (usually I need a double cut to disperse all of the clippings), but this may or may not have been a result of the blade combination.

There were two conditions worth noting as they may have made more of a difference than the blades themselves:
  • Cut conditions were near perfect. Only 4 days since my last cut, lawn was completely dry, and atmosphere was dry as well. Temps have been cool at night (50-60) and not too bad during the day (70-80) this past week. Obviously, the mower always does better in these types of conditions.
  • I also installed the Hustler striping kit (flap at the back of the deck) before cutting, so the intensity of the stripes produced was greater.

Clippings dispersed very well, no clumping at all, deck was clean when I was done. Still a couple of stragglers on each pass if you get down close to the lawn level to look (I'm on a slight hill, so the stragglers can sometimes be easier to see). Most significantly, like I mentioned earlier, only a single cut was required to get good dispersal.

I'll run this combination for a while and see how it works out. Pictures later, though it's hard to show cut quality comparisons in a picture.

I'm still running this combo, cut with it a few times so far. I did get a distant look at the lawn in the morning following a cut and saw a fair amount of stragglers. It doesn't look worse than cutting with the stock blades, but it also doesn't look any better. Not sure why this mower is having so many issues with stragglers.

I have been able to cut everything in a single pass, but that may be more a function of the time of year (warmer weather, slower growth) than the blade combo.

I may end up going back to the full high-lift set again to see if I can improve the straggler situation.

mhavanti

Threads
I have a suggestion that may or may not be acceptable to you and more importantly your neighbors and city hall. Burn that yard off. Cheaper than wear and tear on the mower! lol

I've not run into stragglers other than a certain time of year and not nearly as much as the fella with the Super Z across the street. I mow moving faster than him and that alone should cause more stragglers. He cuts with a 12 mph mower at about 4 mph. I told him I'd loan him my 1996 MTD Yardman because it will move about 5.5 and you can't make it leave a straggler if he is worried about stragglers that badly.

He didn't care for my joke. lol

When you figure this out, I'm looking forward to the resolution you come across.

Good luck!

Max

DK35vince

Threads
My Super Z works best for me if I cut lower.
I mow at around 2 1/2".
If I mow at 3" or more and I need to slow way down to get a nice cut.
If I cut less than 2 3/4" I can mow at full speed (14 MPH) and still get a nice cut.

mhavanti

Threads
I would simply mow at 14 mph, raise and lower the deck until you get the desired results and hide from the wife if she don't like it. She'll go to sleep eventually.

DK35vince

Threads
I would simply mow at 14 mph, raise and lower the deck until you get the desired results and hide from the wife if she don't like it. She'll go to sleep eventually.
I have the deck set on the Super Z where I like it, and I do mow at full speed wherever I can when I'm on it.
I generally mow with the tractor with 84" rear finish mower.
Wife usually runs the zero turn and mows like she's racing a go cart, full speed. That's what I bought if for, to cut my mowing time.
Your neighbor might mow at 4 MPH with his Super Z, but I can tell you that's not how it works here.
I got the Super Z because our FasTrak wasn't fast enough. (not knocking the FasTrak, it was a nice mower, just not big enough, powerful enough or fast enough to suite me for our 8 acres lawn)

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
Well crap, if you weren't so far away, I'd come up, rent me a duplicate mower and we could have some mower racing. My lil old RSD60 won't run with you, however, one of the days I'll put a set of 5400s on it and possibly a turbo charger which I just made a bid on up here in Branson. I should be able to get at least 150 hp out of the mower if I can keep the rods, pistons, valves, valve springs and seats in the Kawasaki.

This gonna be fun!