ztrac 620 John deere mower only moves backward

twklhk1317

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening I am new to the forum so here goes my first question- I have a 620 ztrac John Deere zero turn mower- mower has been sitting for 3years because it stop moving- would not move FORWARD or BACKWARD- the mower has Hydro- gear hydrostatic hydraulic pumps- I just rebuilt both pumps- both pumps have all brand new internal parts- put everything back together- mower will move again- but it will ONLY MOVE BACKWARD- it will not move FORWARD- does any one have any idea why with all new parts- new fluid- new filter- new drive pulleys- mower will only move BACKWARD- help-Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Charge Pump Cover is directional and sounds like it is on backward.

Purging Air from Hydraulics
1. Raise rear wheels off ground. Brace with jack stands.
2. Put bypass valves so it freewheels.
3. Get on mower start it and release the brake.
4. Push drive lever full forward for 10 seconds the full reverse for 10 sec. Do this 10 times for forward and 10 times for reverse alternating between each.
5. Return levers to the parked position and set brake. Turn off the mower. Move bypass valve bake to normal operation.
6. Get back on the mower and start it. Do step #4 again.
7. Return levers to the parked position and set brake. Turn off the mower.
8. Return mower to ground.
9. Test for proper working. If not repeat.
10. Check oil level and fill.

twklhk1317

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Charge Pump Cover is directional and sounds like it is on backward.

Purging Air from Hydraulics
1. Raise rear wheels off ground. Brace with jack stands.
2. Put bypass valves so it freewheels.
3. Get on mower start it and release the brake.
4. Push drive lever full forward for 10 seconds the full reverse for 10 sec. Do this 10 times for forward and 10 times for reverse alternating between each.
5. Return levers to the parked position and set brake. Turn off the mower. Move bypass valve bake to normal operation.
6. Get back on the mower and start it. Do step #4 again.
7. Return levers to the parked position and set brake. Turn off the mower.
8. Return mower to ground.
9. Test for proper working. If not repeat.
10. Check oil level and fill.
BlazNT Thank you for the information working on it now

twklhk1317

Forum Newbie
Threads
BlazNT Thank you for the information working on it now

Good evening BlazNT I have another question- I started purging the air from the pumps today- after following your instructions for purging the air- I finally got the wheels to turn forward while the wheels were off the ground- but when I put the mower back on the ground- the mower still would not move forward- but it will run backwards at full speed- do you think that I haven't got all the air out of the pumps- everything is new in the pumps- charge pump is turning in the right direction- could I still have air in the pumps- I do thank you for your response- no one on the John Deere forum has responded as of yet

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good evening BlazNT I have another question- I started purging the air from the pumps today- after following your instructions for purging the air- I finally got the wheels to turn forward while the wheels were off the ground- but when I put the mower back on the ground- the mower still would not move forward- but it will run backwards at full speed- do you think that I haven't got all the air out of the pumps- everything is new in the pumps- charge pump is turning in the right direction- could I still have air in the pumps- I do thank you for your response- no one on the John Deere forum has responded as of yet

I would take the charge covers off and rotate them 180 digrees and then see if that fixes the problem.