Looking for ZTR under $6k!!! Should I be weary of a demo?

lamrith

Threads
  • / Looking for ZTR under $6k!!! Should I be weary of a demo?
I think I won't be able to get over the issue that it is already 3 years old for not that great of a deal.

I have also looked at and like the following mowers:

Exmark Radius E 52" $5,700
Scag Freedom Z 52" $5,500
Gravely ZTHD 60" $5,300

I think I just need someone to make the decision for me here. Any input would be appreciated.

Should I just go with the Gravely HD with the 60" deck. It is the cheapest, still well built and theoretically will save me time since it has the largest deck? Or should I step up to the Exmark because it has rops, etc?

Decksize and ROPS can be pretty significant things that you probably need to evaluate yourself, or more importantly how they will work with the property you plan to be mowing.

A 60" deck is 60" plus the discharge chute and a little bit more. That means you are limited in how narrow a spot you can mow, store or just drive between. In theory fewer passes, but that extra 8" could mean you cannot mow at all in a tighter area of your property, so time you gain in fewer passes you spend with a trimmer. If you plan to mow others or nee to transport the mower it also limits trailers you can load it onto.

ROP - if you are not mowing on slopes/inclines it is probably not needed. Something to also consider is if the ROPS is one piece or foldable. One piece means you cannot go under anything lower than the ROPS. This can be a big deal if you have trees with branches that are hanging at head height. In those situations the ROPS itself can become a safety risk and flip the mower when it catches on a branch. I really wanted ROPS at 1st until I talked to a few people here and realized I have no real chance to roll my ZTR over and more importantly I have quite a few low hanging trees that I need to mow under.

If you have not done so, I would highly recommend you go ride all of them around a bit. Each one will have a little different feel to it and with your bumpy lawn you need to get a feel for how they will cushion the ride for you. When I looked are ZTR's 3 years ago it was JD, Cub, Husq that I looked at, and each one felt very different. The Cub was the smoothest in terms of controls. Last month when I started looking I looked at Scag and then the Ferris, control wise they felt about the same. However ride is where the Ferris won me hands down as I too have a very rough lawn.

Heygents

Threads
Decksize and ROPS can be pretty significant things that you probably need to evaluate yourself, or more importantly how they will work with the property you plan to be mowing.

A 60" deck is 60" plus the discharge chute and a little bit more. That means you are limited in how narrow a spot you can mow, store or just drive between. In theory fewer passes, but that extra 8" could mean you cannot mow at all in a tighter area of your property, so time you gain in fewer passes you spend with a trimmer. If you plan to mow others or nee to transport the mower it also limits trailers you can load it onto.

ROP - if you are not mowing on slopes/inclines it is probably not needed. Something to also consider is if the ROPS is one piece or foldable. One piece means you cannot go under anything lower than the ROPS. This can be a big deal if you have trees with branches that are hanging at head height. In those situations the ROPS itself can become a safety risk and flip the mower when it catches on a branch. I really wanted ROPS at 1st until I talked to a few people here and realized I have no real chance to roll my ZTR over and more importantly I have quite a few low hanging trees that I need to mow under.

If you have not done so, I would highly recommend you go ride all of them around a bit. Each one will have a little different feel to it and with your bumpy lawn you need to get a feel for how they will cushion the ride for you. When I looked are ZTR's 3 years ago it was JD, Cub, Husq that I looked at, and each one felt very different. The Cub was the smoothest in terms of controls. Last month when I started looking I looked at Scag and then the Ferris, control wise they felt about the same. However ride is where the Ferris won me hands down as I too have a very rough lawn.

I currently mow with a 60" deck so I know that I could buy a 60 with no issues. Since I am only mowing two acres, it really doesn't matter to me what size deck I buy as long as it is 52" or more. I like the idea of a 52" because I think it will provide a slightly better cut, and I like the idea of a 60" because it will save me 10 minutes. Either one isn't a deal breaker when making this decision.

Regarding the ROPS, this is another take it or leave it. I have a few slopes but nothing major and I do have a few low trees. At the same time, in ten years hopefully my kids will be out mowing for me and having the ROPS would certainly make me feel better.

I drove the Exmark Radius E and the Scag Freedom Z and after riding both of them, I have eliminated the Scag from consideration. It felt like a go cart to me and didn't seem to have enough substance (small tires, etc.). I liked the Exmark but feel like I would need to buy the suspension seat/light kit which makes the most expensive mower i'm looking at even more expensive.

The practical side of me says the Gravely HD 52" is the best bet (except no rollover bar) and the dealer is about 40 minutes away and I liked riding it. I also like the Kubota Z125s because it comes standard with the suspension seat and light. I don't like that it almost seems to be an afterthought to Kubota. Did you look at the kubota?

lamrith

Threads
I will say I love Kubota, my mower I just replaced is a 20yr old Kubota rider that has rear suspension. The 1st place I went when I needed a new mower was the Kubota dealer. However my dealer was $500 higher for a ztr with same features as everyone else. I was looking at the Z121S which was lower in the Z100 series but had the seat and lights like the Z125. I just had a bit of sticker shock when I was there plus the sales-person they had seemed to know nothing about them. The seat did not scream comfort to me either, combined with how rough my lawn was I just did not bother riding one after reading how rough ztr's ride in gerneral. That could have been a big mistake on my part, time will tell. I rode one 2 years ago and control/function wise it was very precise and smooth as I expected from a Kubota.

What seams like an afterthought on the Kubota? One thing I liked about my rider and the Z121S I sat on was the ergonomics, they do put a nice machine together, tailored for ease of use.

As for the Gravely not having ROPS, I know some brands have ROPS optional, maybe check and see if it is something that can be added to make the HD a perfect fit for you? I can understand the safety with kids

Heygents

Threads
Just an update here...

So after some more research I decided to up my budget slightly and now have it narrowed down to the following two mowers:

Scag Patriot Z 52" - Love the FX Kawasaki motor, suspension seat, larger tires and the way the thing handles
Kubota Z421 54" - Has bigger hydros than the Scag, a FS Kawasaki motor, no suspension seat but I like the ergonomics a little better

Both are priced the exact same at $6,500 and I know both would have no problem handling my yard (Only 2 acres so both could be considered a little overkill). I also feel good about both dealers.

Any thoughts?

mhavanti

Threads
Heygents,

Take a look at Hustler Raptor SD60. Great mower and the addition of the flex forks and suspension seat kit, you're probably below your original budget.

I run mine like I stole it and if I break it, I'll fix it. However, so far, all I've needed to do is run it wide open. Love the 13x6.5x6 front tires and the 12 inch wide rear tires. Like the upgraded seat and the engine cover that protects the fuel system, breather and very importantly, the heads.

Just a good all around machine with a 730CC Kawasaki that likes WOT.

Good luck,

Max

tragusa3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just an update here...

So after some more research I decided to up my budget slightly and now have it narrowed down to the following two mowers:

Scag Patriot Z 52" - Love the FX Kawasaki motor, suspension seat, larger tires and the way the thing handles
Kubota Z421 54" - Has bigger hydros than the Scag, a FS Kawasaki motor, no suspension seat but I like the ergonomics a little better

Both are priced the exact same at $6,500 and I know both would have no problem handling my yard (Only 2 acres so both could be considered a little overkill). I also feel good about both dealers.

Any thoughts?

FWIW, I bought the Kubota Z421 54" a few months ago. I, too, was comparing to the Scag that you are. Deciding factors for me: ergonomics far better on the Kubota, residential warranty is longer, I cut on slopes and better hydros seemed important.

So far, I have been impressed. Hope I can say that in ten years.

mhavanti

Threads
Heygents and Tragusa,

Gents, hold the dealer's feet to the fire for a suspension seat kit installed. His cost would be no more than $139.95 shipped for the kit plus his own dealership labor which is no more than 25 minutes. If he charges 75 labor, his is out less than $200 dollars to make a sale he is making 1500 plus on already.

Trag,

Congrats on the new Kubota. It should do well for many many years.

Max