Looking for ZTR under $6k!!! Should I be weary of a demo?

Heygents

Threads
  • / Looking for ZTR under $6k!!! Should I be weary of a demo?
I’m overwhelmed right now by my research. I have a 2 acre lawn that is bumpy in some places. I want to buy a ZTR that is going to last me 20 years.

A local dealer has a 2015 Gravely Pro Turn with the Kawasaki engine that was a demo with only 20 hours. Should I be weary about it being a 2015 and still being around? Any concerns here?

The other mowers I am seriously considering are:

Scag Freedom Z 52” - Kohler engine is only option
Exmark Radius e 52” - not sure how I feel about the Exmark branded engine
Toro my ride timecutter HD 54” - same story as Exmark engine
Kubota 125s 52” - will this hold up for 20 years?
Gravely HD/Ariens Apex - are these as good as the mowers listed above

All dealers are pretty close and should offer good service. I just can’t decide.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it comes with the same warranty ( in writing ) as a new one then no problems.
I would ask for a brand new battery and the warranty to be in writing then open the wallet.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much of a discount are you getting on the three year old Gravely demo unit?

Heygents

Threads
How much of a discount are you getting on the three year old Gravely demo unit?

It is marked down from $6,500 to $5,500. It will come with the new warranty and is available with their new mower financing.

Think it is a good deal? Better and longer lasting mower than the others I am looking at?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
In reality, about 1% of the useful life of the machine has been used up, so no I wouldn't worry about 20 hours. But I would take a hard look at any changes that have been made to the machine in the newer models. Sometimes they're enough to make a significant difference. For instance my 2017 Bob-Cat has the Kawasaki FX691V on it and they now have the FX850V for 2018, which is a significant upgrade that would sway me towards the newer model despite any discount.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is marked down from $6,500 to $5,500. It will come with the new warranty and is available with their new mower financing.

Think it is a good deal? Better and longer lasting mower than the others I am looking at?

It wouldn't be for me. That's only a 15% reduction on a 3 year old mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It wouldn't be for me. That's only a 15% reduction on a 3 year old mower.

So what wears or falls apart sitting in a showroom .
20 hours is nothing on that machine.
Only downside will be if you are trying to sell it used latter on because it will be 3 years older.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
So what wears or falls apart sitting in a showroom .
A large dealer near me stores many of their machines outdoors with alarm cord strung through them all. They sit out there in all sorts of weather for months at a time. It drives me crazy. I know that's not the norm, but many dealers do put their mowers outdoors on display when they're open, which over the period of 3 years could lead to some deterioration.

lamrith

Threads
With a bumpy lawn and your $6k budget, have you checked into Ferris? They are suspended which can help with the bumpy lawn. Might be worth checking out as well to further confuse you.

I completely understand $1000 savings though and Gravely from everything I am told makes a damn fine machine, so that would be very hard to pass up if I were in your shoes. and as mentioned 20hrs is nothing at all in regards to lifespan of a properly maintained unit.

Heygents

Threads
I think I won't be able to get over the issue that it is already 3 years old for not that great of a deal.

I have also looked at and like the following mowers:

Exmark Radius E 52" $5,700
Scag Freedom Z 52" $5,500
Gravely ZTHD 60" $5,300

I think I just need someone to make the decision for me here. Any input would be appreciated.

Should I just go with the Gravely HD with the 60" deck. It is the cheapest, still well built and theoretically will save me time since it has the largest deck? Or should I step up to the Exmark because it has rops, etc?