Low power on one wheel motor

cavymeister

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Badboy Maverick last summer and am having a problem with the mower. I took it back to my dealer and they said it’s normal, or that they could not recreate the problem. Some background info. The mower has 29 hours on the clock. It’s the 54” model with the Kohler motor in it and has Hydro-gear 3200's in it.

Last summer it ran beautifully. When I when to run it this spring it still did well, except when I go to turn right when at slow speed there is low initial power. Basically at 1/3 speed or slower, the machine turns considerably faster to the left than to the right. If I push the left lever forward too quickly, it will squeal the belt and lag really hard on the turn. Using the right lever/motor it doesn’t do that. This becomes an issue when mowing because I’m anticipating that the mower will turn and it doesn’t. I’ve been close to my ditch and almost went in because of this. It didn’t do that last year, so I’m having to re-learn the mower and with both sides acting differently it’s becoming a challenge. If I’m mowing at full speed, it tracks straight. As long as I’m moving at a reasonable clip it acts fine. The dealer said that since it doesn’t have a problem turning at speed then it’s not a problem.

All winter is was covered, and during the mowing season it’s garage kept. The mowing season started off early this year, so I got two or three cuts in before I did the yearly maintenance (changed the oil at the 8 hour mark last year). For season start maintenance I changed engine oil and filter, air filter, transmission oil and filters. I’ll be doing this again at the end of the season + fuel filter, and plugs. I followed all required procedures for purging air from the transmissions. I wasn’t planning on changing the transmission oil until I hit the first interval. But, since I was having the low power problem, I checked with my dealer and confirmed that it was OK to change it to see if that helped address the issue. It did not change how the mower acted at all.

Has anyone had an issue like this, or have any pointers?

Thanks!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You would have thought that if they are selling them they would (should) address the problem.

cavymeister

Forum Newbie
Threads
You would have thought that if they are selling them they would (should) address the problem.

I would have thought that too. Regardless, I'm hoping someone would have seen something like this. I'd rather go to another dealer with more info and get it fixed than to fight with these folks.

olf20

Threads
I would have thought that too. Regardless, I'm hoping someone would have seen something like this. I'd rather go to another dealer with more info and get it fixed than to fight with these folks.

Sounds like air in the system. Does this have a filter on both drives
or just one for the whole system?
olf20 / Bob