Bolens WOrth Repairing?

jaygreg

Threads
Machine: Bolens model 3012G (ST125); 12hp 4 cycle twin; 36” deck

Condition: Great… until it overheated, blew smoke out the front (blue-white), and finally stopped altogether. Won’t start… no spark.
I suspect the smoke came from oil-soaked debris that collected inside the shroud that shields the engine block. I do NOT suspect bad rings, blown gasket, nor any major component failure that would require an engine tear-down… though I’m sure the rings would show wear.

This happened last year too and the shop replaced a magneto and wires for about $350. I think it’s just the wires this time…but I could be wrong.

Considering the age of the machine, and the fact I’ve never done anything to the transmission (but have maintained the machine well), I thought it wise to buy a replacement. So now… what the hell do I do with this beast that’s served me so well? Repair it and sell it? What could I possibly get from it? I’m not looking to get into the parts business.

I’m looking for an expedient way to rid myself of this machine for the most revenue I can collect. Any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your old mule is definitely worth repairing, if the body is in good shape. Ones in excellent shape go for $1500+, so a running one in decent shape should bring in about $750+. Everything depends on what shape your unit is in.

jaygreg

Threads
I'm shocked! If that's anywhere close ($750), I may put the thing on ramps and tinker with it throughout the Summer. The body is in very good shape.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
people who know how to judge the quality of a mower will pay a good price for one in a good condition.
Your Bolens will out cut and out live any new mower bought today for $ 3,000 or under.

The demand for the old Stihl 07 & 08 chainsaw parts which went out of production in the 70's is so high that you can new buy a complete saw in pieces.
They sell thousands of these saws every year because they are a very powerful saw and very well designed.
They can not be sold as a saw because they do not have a chain brake which is why you have to self assemble them.

jaygreg

Threads
Re: Bolens Worth Repairing?

Assuming for a moment that I repair the machine and resolve the smoke issue, clean it up, oil the grass catcher with that tire shine stuff to make it stand out then take pictures.... where do I go to find someone likely to appreciate the quality of this machine and likely to pay for it? Craigslist and take my chances? Are there forums where people (like here) trade and buy mowers like this one?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best place, but a little work, is to find a Bolens owners group on the internet. There are fanatics for old equipment out there.

PAMedic

Threads
I have almost the same situation except that my smoke came from the top. I think a blown head gasket. I already replaced it with a new tractor but I still have this. Transaxle worked fine. Is it really worth anything? Hard to find an all metal tractor in this price range
nowadays. IMG_0793 copy.jpgIMG_0792 copy.jpgIMG_0791 copy.jpgIMG_0790 copy.jpg

Zimco

Threads
The biggest problem I have with my Bolens QT16 is mice. They get into the Kohler engine, make nests and block air flow so it overheats very quickly. Not an easy job of clearing the nests out.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I picked up one about like it a few years ago. Not in near as good as shape as the one pictured. I fixed it up to flip. I got $350 for it. Yours being nicer will probably bring more but around here if it is not 42" or bigger kind of a hard sell. Folks around me are looking for 60"+ decks.