mower starts only when spark plug connection is removed but near (picture attached)

stevenisam

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / mower starts only when spark plug connection is removed but near (picture attached)
Hi All,

I have a craftsman mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine. This is pretty old mower. This year I changed the spark plug and since then it needs a starter fluid to start. Today it wouldn't start, so i removed the spark plug, cleaned it and sprayed the starter fluild into the cylinder and it started. Only then I realized that I didn't connect the spark plug wire. It was running with the wire right next to the spark plug. Once i connect the spark plug, it never starts.

it starts if I remove the spark plug connection and it won;t start if I connect. I do understand about IC engines to some extend. Any help is much appreciated. Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_20180602_191206.jpg
    IMG_20180602_191206.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20180602_191400.jpg
    IMG_20180602_191400.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 31

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / mower starts only when spark plug connection is removed but near (picture attached)
That is because you have either the wrong plug or the plug has gone bad.
Run the engine for about 10 minutes then cut off the fuel supply to stop the engine.
Replace the plug lead & try again.
If no joy double check the plug.
Most engines with a hall effect triggered magneto take a resistor plug where as points ignitions generally use a plain plug ( no R in the grade ).

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That engine if its a 2-16HP should have a Champion CJ8 or J17LM plug 16-18HP will have a RJ12 plug.

stevenisam

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is because you have either the wrong plug or the plug has gone bad.
Run the engine for about 10 minutes then cut off the fuel supply to stop the engine.
Replace the plug lead & try again.
If no joy double check the plug.
Most engines with a hall effect triggered magneto take a resistor plug where as points ignitions generally use a plain plug ( no R in the grade ).

Thank you, I will probably replace the plug and try as you suggested. I also notice that there's black smoke coming since I changed the plug.

stevenisam

Forum Newbie
Threads
That engine if its a 2-16HP should have a Champion CJ8 or J17LM plug 16-18HP will have a RJ12 plug.

Thank you for the reply, its a 3 HP engine. it had a CJ8 plug and I replaced it with another CJ8. Attaching the picture of engine

.IMG_20180603_101423 (1).jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have black smoke coming out then have the carb check and cleaned.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Modern fuel, which is nothing like petrol , is very conductive at cylinder pressures.
Thus the spark will run down the side and ground out at the bottom of the insulator rather than jump the gap.
Holding the lead off the plug forces the voltage to build up to a higher amount before it can get to ground through the plug thus when the higher voltage hits the electrode it will jump the gap & fire the engine.
If your carb is flooding the engine then the plug will always be wet.
An old adage goes
Most ignition problems start in he carburettor
Most carburettor problems start in the ignition.

A magneto does not produce a fixed voltage, the voltage varies with the speed the magnets pass the coil .
Most of them will spark well before peak voltage is reached.

Threads
Steven you have a great engine right there, that most people would pay good money for..........

Threads
Steven can you post a pic of the mower it's on ??? I remember the old Yazoo mowers with the horizontal Briggs on them.......

Great bullet proof mowers......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!