Yard machines riding mower won’t turn over and leaking gas

Zach8815

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Yard machines riding mower won’t turn over and leaking gas
Bought a new battery since last summer I had to jump it constantly. Put in the new battery and it started up fine. Ran it for 10 seconds or so in the shed then shut it off so I could move my snowblower to get my mower out. Before trying to start it again I filled the tank. Tried to start it to back it out of the shed and nothing. Pushed it out of the shed to jump it and still wouldn’t start. The engine tries to turnover but doesn’t. Left it in the driveway since it was getting dark and went out the next morning and the gas tank emptied on my driveway. Every time I put gas in and tried to start it there was overflow around the air filter and area leading down to the carburetor. So some videos about the pressure valves so got that plate off. In the videos I saw just a little oil came out. On mine the thing leaked gas like crazy. doesn’t seem like the starter or solenoid because it is trying to turn over. I’m not sure why it started then didn’t or why it didn’t leak the gas in the tank all winter, only when I put more gas in and got it out of the shed. I’d appreciate any help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a hydrolocking issue, raw fuel filling the cylinder. Problem is caused by the float needle not seating properly. Remedy, remove carb and clean and rebuild. Change the oil, as it is probably fill d with gas. Remove the spark plug and spin the engine over, but put an old rag in front of the spark plug hole, as you will see a lot of fuel come flying out. After this is all done you should be able to start your unit and have no fuel on the driveway. Some will say to put a fuel shut off in the fuel line, but this is just a bandaid fix by garage door mechanics.

Zach8815

Forum Newbie
Threads
THANK YOU!!! My daughter was born so it took me a bit to get in the shed and do what you said. Did everything you mentioned and got it running today. The float needle looked a little worn so I replaced that and it’s no longer leaking gas. Got it up and running for under 30 bucks. Much cheaper than taking it some place. Thanks again