Repairs New owner of 917.273372 mower

ChrisR1

Forum Newbie
Threads
New first time riding mower owner here. Just purshased a used riding mower and the second time I used the mower it started to make a strange noise from the drive system after 30 minutes of use, and at first the drive felt intermittent in both forward and reverse and then the drive would not engage at all. It felt like A slipping clutch in a car with a manual transmission. Any suggestions on what I should look at first. Did I burn up the clutch or do I possibly have a transmission problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That mower has a manual gear box so you should never ever change gears unless the wheels are stationary.
Shifting while in motion will break the drive lugs off the shift keys which will produce the exact symptoms you describe.
To test, pull the belt off, select top the turn the pulley by hand.
backwards of forwards the mower should move when you turn the pulley.

If the belt & clutch springs are in good condition you should be able to get under the mower and be able to turn the engine over by moving the belt with your hands ( take the plug leads off first )

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should have mentioned that your mower has a Dana transmission which is now obsolete.
the parts that most likely have broken are No # 22 in this diagram https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917273372/0247/1509200.html
You will note that 22 does not appear in the list of available parts.

Dana were not in many mowers we got down here so our aftermarket suppliers do not do Dana parts but they may be available in the USA.

But before we get the cart in front of the horse we need to check if you have a clutch or tranny problem.