Simplicity Regent deck question.

BrianSki

Threads
I am not sure if I have the model correct, going from memory. A Regent 18h with a 38" mower deck. It shows a 2007 model. My Mother bought it new at the time. I have noticed over the years when I was cutting when you make a hard (left?) turn the mower deck would hit the pulley on the crankshaft. I have even seen sparks before. Well as time goes past and she uses it to cut grass, I forgot about it. The mower lost the deck belt the other day and I noticed where the deck hits the pulley, over time it has cut a pretty good slot in the deck mount. The metal is pretty sharp. When I am under the mower I cannot see how the deck can swing over far enough to hit the pulley. Has anyone had this problem before?? I don't think anything is bent. I can get a picture tomorrow to show you exactly what I am talking about.

I can weld it up to get it back to original, but I am not sure why it is hitting. Or how to prevent it. As far as I know everything is stock.

BrianSki

Threads
I got a picture this morning... maybe it will help. The mower is on jack stands so the deck is hanging lower. That is why the the marks on the deck do not line up with the pulley. The pulley is quite a ways from the mower deck. 3/4" or more.DSC02628.jpg BTW the jack stand is on the front cross bar not the mower deck.

BrianSki

Threads
I was thinking of bending the metal outward to give it more clearance. The metal bracket is 3/16" or thicker. I can do, but then the mount would not be factory size so another deck would not fit. I hate to be a hammer mechanic anyway.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So what is happening is the deck is moving too far to the right ( sitting on the mower ) causing the left side of the front mount to rub on the pulley.

Very first thing is to check that the pulley is the right size, people fit bigger ones to push the blade speed up in the hope of getting a better cut.

Next is to work out why the deck can move that far.
A front mount like yours is designed to prevent the deck moving left right while mowing.
I will hazard a guess that the holes in the mower mounting plate are flogged out oval or that plate itself is twisted ( from hitting some thing hard ).
Pull the deck off and slip a bar through the holes in the mower mount and check they are square with the mower.
While the front drag plate is off put a rod through both the mower and the deck mounting holes, they should be parallel to each other if not either weld & re cut them or replace the drag plate.
Similar story with the mounting tabs on the deck itself, although working out square for it is a bit harder.
If it is a 3 blade deck then the distances from the holes to the left & right spindles should be the same .
They should also be parallel to the blades so support the deck on a level surface with 2 blocks (bricks ? ) under each blade then measure the height ground to mounting holes, it should be the same.

Check that both the left & right front gauge wheels are there , that they are adjusted properly and that the wheel itself is a nice rolling fit on the axel and the axel is firm in the mounting plate.
These items take a beating on ground engaging decks.
Also check for toe in on the gauge wheels, again they get twisted from hitting things and if the left is toed in that would tend to push the deck to the left while mowing.

Last edited:

BrianSki

Threads
So what is happening is the deck is moving too far to the right ( sitting on the mower ) causing the left side of the front mount to rub on the pulley.

>>>> Yes, That is the problem. Only happens when you are moving. When I am sitting still I cannot push the deck that far over.

Very first thing is to check that the pulley is the right size, people fit bigger ones to push the blade speed up in the hope of getting a better cut.

>>>>> My Mother is the one to buy it new, And I don't think there has been any modifications to it, except for the mower shop tune ups. And it does not happen to the right mount, only the left side, And only once in a while. But after 10 years it is looking rough. I think it may have done it from the factory.

Next is to work out why the deck can move that far.
A front mount like yours is designed to prevent the deck moving left right while mowing.
I will hazard a guess that the holes in the mower mounting plate are flogged out oval or that plate itself is twisted ( from hitting some thing hard ).
Pull the deck off and slip a bar through the holes in the mower mount and check they are square with the mower.
While the front drag plate is off put a rod through both the mower and the deck mounting holes, they should be parallel to each other if not either weld & re cut them or replace the drag plate.
Similar story with the mounting tabs on the deck itself, although working out square for it is a bit harder.

>>>>> Good idea I will check to see if everything is true.

If it is a 3 blade deck then the distances from the holes to the left & right spindles should be the same . >>>>> It is a smaller 2 blade deck.

They should also be parallel to the blades so support the deck on a level surface with 2 blocks (bricks ? ) under each blade then measure the height ground to mounting holes, it should be the same.

Check that both the left & right front gauge wheels are there , that they are adjusted properly and that the wheel itself is a nice rolling fit on the axel and the axel is firm in the mounting plate.
These items take a beating on ground engaging decks.
Also check for toe in on the gauge wheels, again they get twisted from hitting things and if the left is toed in that would tend to push the deck to the left while mowing.

>>>>> I am drawing a blank. I don't remember any front deck wheels. Will double check tomorrow. And while mowing the deck tracks fine. It is just in a hard turn it rubs once in a while. and only the one side... Thanks for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to manual you should have 4 wheels on the deck.
Simplicity use ground engaging decks so the wheels follow the ground while you are mowing.
Thus if there are no wheels at the front there will be too much load on the front mount.

People take them off because the mower seems to cut fine without them and they tend to get stuck on any protrusion in the grass.

You can download the parts book from Simplicity.

BrianSki

Threads
Simplicity use ground engaging decks so the wheels follow the ground while you are mowing.
Thus if there are no wheels at the front there will be too much load on the front mount.

People take them off because the mower seems to cut fine without them and they tend to get stuck on any protrusion in the grass.

You can download the parts book from Simplicity.

Ok, I just don't remember... But will take another look. BTW as far as the pulley being changed. I think the pulley is part of the electric clutch to engage the blades. Only one size unless it separates.
Thanks for the help. If I find out I will post it.

BrianSki

Threads

BrianSki

Threads

It looks like only the wheels in the back. A line of them. No marks on the front where they were ever mounted. There are a couple bolts. But they are there to hold metal in place on the inside by the blades.... You can't see the rear wheels in this picture....
DSC02640.jpg

It sure did take a bite out of this mount. You can see where the secondary mount was wearing on it..
DSC02648.jpg

Fixed up before the paint...
DSC02653.jpg