Need Help: Looking for Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Recommendations

EZCUSE

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need Help: Looking for Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Recommendations
Right now I own a 16" Ryobi 40V Lawn Mower.

I have to be honest and say that I pretty much hate it. This is the 3rd season I've had it for and a swear that more cut grass is left on my lawn than in the bag. Ryobi customer service was useless and essentially told me that I was the problem and that there was nothing wrong with the mower. With that said, I am looking to make a switch.

By no means do I have a big front or backyard. I live in Denver, CO and maybe I live on something like .1 of an acre. With that said, my grass grows pretty fast.

I want something powerful that can cut through long grass.

I started looking at the EGO lawn mowers but have no idea which I would go with. Self propelled is not critical since my yard is so small.

What would you guys recommend? I would love a brand and a model number that I can check out. Are there any places on the web that actually give unbiased opinions of electric lawn mowers???

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

MowerMike

Threads
Yes, I suspect that the little 16” Ryobi is a bit underpowered, and the small wheels make it difficult to push in long grass. I’d look for something that adjusts the power based on the load like the larger Greenworks mowers with “Smartcut”. I have the Greenworks 21” 60 volt lawnmower, and it can handle anything I throw at it without stalling. I don’t know how well it bags because I only mulch my grass, but it cuts and mulches very well. You can buy it at any Lowe’s store, which is better than buying online where you have to buy sight unseen and must ship it back to get a refund if you don’t like it or have problems.

Threads
Underpowered mowers have more trouble pumping clippings around.

You are likely to see similar performance from other 40v devices as they all have similar limits to how fast the battery can be safely drained, and it sounds like you are already bumping against that limit.

Look into the 60v and 80v options on the market.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
My 40V was fine when it was new, but now I'm considering an upgrade.

later this season or next season I'm seriously considering an upgrade to that Kobalt with the quick charging battery. My twinforce has lost all the 'teeth' underneath and that may be why I have uncut 'stragglers. Plus, it's cutting path is only 19" I think,.. I'd love to have a wider cutting path.

Mark Widmer

Threads

I have to be honest and say that I pretty much hate it. This is the 3rd season I've had it for and a swear that more cut grass is left on my lawn than in the bag. Ryobi customer service was useless and essentially told me that I was the problem and that there was nothing wrong with the mower. With that said, I am looking to make a switch.

By no means do I have a big front or backyard. I live in Denver, CO and maybe I live on something like .1 of an acre. With that said, my grass grows pretty fast.

I started looking at the EGO lawn mowers but have no idea which I would go with. Self propelled is not critical since my yard is so small.

What would you guys recommend? I would love a brand and a model number that I can check out. Are there any places on the web that actually give unbiased opinions of electric lawn mowers???

Has your blade been sharpened lately -- or replaced with a new one that is sharp? I have found sharpening a dull blade can make a big difference. Trying a new blade, if it works out for you, would be a lot cheaper than getting a new mower. And if it doesn't work, you are only out the price of the blade.

Also, since you only have 0.1 acre, you might try making two passes with the mower, first on a high setting and then on the second pass cut to the shorter length you want.

In my experience cutting really tall or wet grass, which can be done with a more powerful gas mower, never went well with my electric. (Black and Decker CMM1000, 24 V and admittedly a pretty old model by now -- maybe the newer ones are supposed to handle tall/wet grass better.)

Mark

Last edited:

Bizno

Forum Newbie
Threads

If if you haven't purchased one yet look into redback 120v and yardforce 120v cordless mowers

https://www.mowersdirect.com/Redbac...uh4XxYTp9FDhXC27QBoCTk4QAvD_BwE&akamaifeo=off