New Aquisition

tosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
After several months of searching I finally lucked into this 21" Commercial. It clearly had not run for a very long time, the gas tank was dirty, the gas shut off plugged and likewise the carb. A couple of attempts at cleaning the carb didn't help, so just to satisfy myself that it was indeed a fuel issue I pulled the carb from my old 18" LawnBoy and it fired up nicely. Carb kit is on order.
I don't know the model number or the date, but both machines (21" and 18") are Canadian models and do not have the blade brakes. The smaller one I bought new in mid 1980s, just before they mandated the nanny handle, so obviously the larger machine must be about the same era, or maybe the commercial machines didn't get blade brake system until later. This machine will last me for the rest of my life and I'll fix it up in the off-season to make it nice once I know it runs well.

Questions -

1. Can someone suggest model number and date of manufacture?

2. Any advice on carburator soak solutions.

3. Where might I find good LawnBoy green paint?

Thanks guys.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you searched the Lawn-Boy forum on THIS site, many devout L-B owners with much info there !

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
After several months of searching I finally lucked into this 21" Commercial. It clearly had not run for a very long time, the gas tank was dirty, the gas shut off plugged and likewise the carb. A couple of attempts at cleaning the carb didn't help, so just to satisfy myself that it was indeed a fuel issue I pulled the carb from my old 18" LawnBoy and it fired up nicely. Carb kit is on order.
I don't know the model number or the date, but both machines (21" and 18") are Canadian models and do not have the blade brakes. The smaller one I bought new in mid 1980s, just before they mandated the nanny handle, so obviously the larger machine must be about the same era, or maybe the commercial machines didn't get blade brake system until later. This machine will last me for the rest of my life and I'll fix it up in the off-season to make it nice once I know it runs well.

Questions -

1. Can someone suggest model number and date of manufacture?

2. Any advice on carburator soak solutions.

3. Where might I find good LawnBoy green paint?

Thanks guys.

We need a model number! There's usually a metal plated on the back of the deck with the model and serial #. If you were standing and holding the handle you would be looking down at this plate. Then you can ID the mower.

Ask at any auto parts store for carb cleaner.

There is a company that makes the LB green; search for "green" in this forum.

I'd like to see a photo of your mower.

:welcome:

tosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: New Aquisition w picture!

Sorry guys, asking you to identify my LawnBoy without a picture was evidently asking too much! My mistake.
The label from the deck has peeled off and in any event was absolutely impossible to read. I'd send a picture of the label but it wouldn't do any good.
I appreciate your guidance on paint and carb soak as well as the lead to replacement decals which will complete the eventual restoration.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_2651.jpg
    1-IMG_2651.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 26

rfWi

Threads
We need a model number! There's usually a metal plated on the back of the deck with the model and serial #. If you were standing and holding the handle you would be looking down at this plate. Then you can ID the mower.

Ask at any auto parts store for carb cleaner.

There is a company that makes the LB green; search for "green" in this forum.

I'd like to see a photo of your mower.

:welcome:

If the plate is missing,a pic of mower would sure help!
Don't use carb cleaner on cork float.It will remove the coating making the float useless.
Duplicolor and RustOleum both make "Grabber Green" engine enamel,which many have used for most LB's.Depends on which green your mower is.

rfWi

Threads
I posted right after you did! I see the photo now. Grabber green is pretty much identical to what you have.Can't help with model number though.I'm not familiar with commercial models.

Lawnboy77

Threads
That mower looks to be a Model 6461 commercial made between 1986 and 1988.

Edit: just remembered that this mower might be Canadian, which means the model numbers might be different up there, but yes in the states that one would be a model 6461.

tosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
That mower looks to be a Model 6461 commercial made between 1986 and 1988.

Edit: just remembered that this mower might be Canadian, which means the model numbers might be different up there, but yes in the states that one would be a model 6461.

Thanks '77. The date fits with my guess, since my 18" LawnBoy was the last before the blade brake introduction and it was bought mid 1980's. so that makes sense. Handy to have a model number for reference purposes.

Now if I can get the carb de-gummed and a new kit installed it should be fine. Using the carb from my smaller machine works surprisingly well and the engine might be identical. Mowed heavy grass yesterday and was surprised at how well it performed. Very impressed. Doesn't look so hot just now, but by next spring it will be a beaut!

Thanks for the help.

wingless

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

Nice machine. Keep us updated.

An ultrasonic cleaner could be very useful for the carburetor problem. A compressed air blow gun may also be useful w/ any solvent, including WD-40 to clean the passages.

When I restored my Model 5000, I used Pettit 6455/044 Metal Primer on the bare aluminum deck, followed by Flat Gray Rust-Oleum Professional Primer Aerosol Spray to provide the best adhesion and protection of the metal.

27309216128_3ac89fe3c9_b.jpg

41138880992_62bb23a02f_b.jpg

nitehawk55

Threads
If you take the deck down to bare metal get some Rust-Oleum self etching primer and for the green colour get some grabber green engine paint at CTC .

As for the carb a good strong solution of Simple Green cleaner / degreaser works well and even better if you heat it some on a Coleman stove/BBQ outside. Don't boil it, just make it really hot and soak for an hour or 2 and repeat if needed .