How many amps should the clutch be pulling ?

Golf Pro 61

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having trouble keeping the clutch engaged. I know that I now need to see how many amps the clutch is pulling but do not know how many it should be? I do know the breaker is 20 amp so I would guess it has to be below that but would like to know the real amount. If I do not have a DC Amp meter could I put in a in line fuse and and just see what amp fuses it blows? cheaper than buying a meter I figure.

Also the hot wire going to the clutch should be the blue one correct?

I have done these things.

1. Had the battery tested (good) 12.6 volt off 13.65 Volt running.

2. Replaced the PTO switch.

3. Tested the Ohms on the clutch 3.2 and tested no dead shorts.

4. Set he air gap to .016 then also tighten 1/4 turn 2 times.

Snapper mower 18 hp 44" cut clutch # 5023100sm

Thanks

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
somewhere between 3 to 5 Amps check you have power 12v on wires to clutch when it cuts out, if you have its the clutch, if you don't then its switches/wiring/bad connection there was one on here this week with the same problem, he find out in the end that it was the fuel solenoid cutting out the power, so it maybe worth you checking that one out if you have one.

Golf Pro 61

Forum Newbie
Threads
somewhere between 3 to 5 Amps check you have power 12v on wires to clutch when it cuts out, if you have its the clutch, if you don't then its switches/wiring/bad connection there was one on here this week with the same problem, he find out in the end that it was the fuel solenoid cutting out the power, so it maybe worth you checking that one out if you have one.

Thanks for the help.
With my meter set to 10 amps key on motor off the clutch is pulling what I think is 3.7 amps it shows on the meter screen as 3.70 ?

If the Clutch runs for 5-7 seconds could it still be the seat switch? Can I bypbass it?

Last edited:

Golf Pro 61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help.
With my meter set to 10 amps key on motor off the clutch is pulling what I think is 3.7 amps it shows on the meter screen as 3.70 ?

If the Clutch runs for 5-7 seconds could it still be the seat switch? Can I bypbass it?

Today I was able to check and when my clutch stops there is no longer any volts going to it would run about 30 seconds with 14.01 volts then just stop sending power to clutch. What should I check next?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the brake and seat switchers.