Mower deck Clumping

mnorris

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used xt-3300-60 a few years ago from our local township. The first month or two of mowing it spits out clumps. When it gets to the hot summer months,
it's not too bad. I have leveled the deck. I have set it lower in the front as the manual says. I have taken the chute baffle out. Have tried all kinds of blades, X blades,
gator blades, high lift blades, even gator with X blade combo, nothing helps. It runs at the correct RPM. Sold a steiner to buy this due to speed. Love the mower, but not the way it clumps. Any suggestions??

cruzenmike

Threads
I bought a used xt-3300-60 a few years ago from our local township. The first month or two of mowing it spits out clumps. When it gets to the hot summer months,
it's not too bad. I have leveled the deck. I have set it lower in the front as the manual says. I have taken the chute baffle out. Have tried all kinds of blades, X blades,
gator blades, high lift blades, even gator with X blade combo, nothing helps. It runs at the correct RPM. Sold a steiner to buy this due to speed. Love the mower, but not the way it clumps. Any suggestions??

Things that come to mind:

Scrape the bottom side of the mower deck to make sure that it is clean and smooth. Raise your deck up; it is likely that you are cutting more than 1/3 the length of your uncut clippings. Only cut the grass when it is dry. Everything else you are doing is good, but a set of OEM (directly from the dealer) original blades should give great results. Only other thing I could think of is although the engine is running at the correct RPM, the blades may not be. If the clutch plates in the electric PTO are not holding you would be losing blade speed. Also, the spindle/idler bearings could be going slowing stuff down as well. At the end of the day, clumping is the result of too much grass in the deck while the blades are turning.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
In general, ways to avoid clumping in my experience are:. Sharp high lift blades, keeping your mower deck scraped clean, not letting the grass get too tall, not mowing wet grass, slowing down, and raising your cutting height. Gator blades just make it worse, but to a lesser degree with the G5 and G6 blades.

mnorris

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I have checked belt tensions, bearings, I do not have a clutch, just manual engagement. I started out this week with new high lift blades
and clean deck, better but not there yet. What about the two adjustable mulching baffles on the front of the deck? Up, down or off?

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks. I have checked belt tensions, bearings, I do not have a clutch, just manual engagement. I started out this week with new high lift blades
and clean deck, better but not there yet. What about the two adjustable mulching baffles on the front of the deck? Up, down or off?

I would have to see the deck, but in my experience baffles are typically used in mulching setups only. The baffles help to re-circulate the clippings and push them back down into the turf. Try removing the baffles altogether which should provide maximum airflow from under the deck out through the discharge chute.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Baffles between the cutting chambers are typically used to separate them into individual processing cells. Baffles in the front and rear are used to contain and direct the clippings within the deck and out the discharge. No harm in experimenting with adjusting them but personally I wouldn't remove them.

mnorris

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried with them out, grass blew out the front and up on me. Back in they go.
Different related question. I have noticed since I owned it the main frame is lower
in the back by three inches, is that normal?
The deck, however is set properly, bit lower in the front.