6.5hp old briggs leaking gas at air filter

Threads
Actuall there is a passage under there and it's not sealed completely. When you spray carb cleaner in the right hole yhr spray will come out at the welch plug........

Some techs consider it a vent area......

1RB2534

Threads
Actuall there is a passage under there and it's not sealed completely. When you spray carb cleaner in the right hole yhr spray will come out at the welch plug........

Some techs consider it a vent area......

Thanks again, ALSO I have a strange thing going on. I fired the mower up today and it ran great, in fact it's running way faster rpm than ever in it's history. Actually it's sounds about like the rpm of my newer briggs push mower but this old one has never ran that fast. Anyhow the kicker is I cannot idle the mower down now.

I got to looking at the governor-throttle spring to see if I got it back on correctly and it looks the same as I remember but it's been a few days. It has a side mount throttle lever (on the carb filter housing) that simply slides toward back of mower for fast and to the front of mower for slow. But now I have no slow, just runs wide open in both positions ?? Kinda concerned bout that. Edit add ( Looking at the pick what do you think? )

(Oops jpeg balked after first load, never would load again. After trying to load the jpeg From Computer button, the screen just sat there forever on the loading files. I finally gave up and closed it out. Not sure what's going on with that. I will try in another reply below.

Last edited:
Threads
Your link won't open.......... You have the linkage hooked up wrong or it's in a bind somewhere..

1RB2534

Threads
Your link won't open.......... You have the linkage hooked up wrong or it's in a bind somewhere..

Ok, I tried editing and reloading the image on the reply above but it refused to load it. So I tried here again on the same From Computer button. Ok this time it appears to have loaded, although the process is a bit ambiguious. The loading screen just sat there for at least 5 min's. I went away from the computer and came back later and the loading screen box was still just sitting there. So I tried clicking the URL button (beside the From Computer button) then the screen immediately went away before I could do anything else. And so far I can see the image in the post.

In any case it appears I'm going to have to take it carb back off and find someplace to hook the linkage to the throttle plate where it has less position leverage so the governor can pull it back more.

Governor Spring Hookup.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks if you have the governor rod in the wrong hole....try the other one

Attachments

• 83D Move Throttle Plate Linkage.jpg
    83D Move Throttle Plate Linkage.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 5

1RB2534

Threads
Looks if you have the governor rod in the wrong hole....try the other one

Yepper that was it. I switched the linkage to the other orange sleeved hole and now it idles down like normal on slow throttle. It was a bit more difficult to get the carb in a position to insert the linkage into that hole but that's the one it needs. I have another newer briggs mower same size and it doesn't have a throttle (edit add-> i.e. a throttle adjustment) at all. It just runs wide open all the time and shuts off when you let go of the handle. I looked at it's throttle plate lever (that is hooked to a governor) and it has a similar located hole but only one hole period. But there's no adjustment it just cranks and runs pretty fast.

This older mower just doesn't run as fast even on wide open (now with correct linkage hookup) as the newer mower. It gets the job done for the most part though. I guess maybe the older mowers didn't have as strong a valve springs and decided to governor them down more (?) but who knows. It's been running now for 20yr or more.

Edit add, oh and a big thank you to all who replied on this thread.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
A photo or photos always give us here much more information then you could say in words...! thanks for the feedback.:thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A photo or photos always give us here much more information then you could say in words...! thanks for the feedback.:thumbsup:

As was said many moons ago.... a picture is worth a thousand words !! .. :thumbsup:

Threads
Thanks for letting us know.... There is way to get more RPM's out of your mower.......

1RB2534

Threads

As was said many moons ago.... a picture is worth a thousand words !! .. :thumbsup:

Yepper my camera is broken I had to hold the battery case lock down to get that one pic I posted. It's time to get a new camera for sure.

Thanks for letting us know.... There is way to get more RPM's out of your mower.......

In the past I've read of bending the tab the governor spring hooks on, to let the throttle lever pull more against the governor, but on this particular mower there is no bendable area that I can tell. I did try stretching the old spring but it still runs rather low rpm compared to most mowers I've used. It's always done that, rather odd I guess but it's been a durable mower over the years. It's so old it might be too much on the old girl to run her any faster now. Always interested in any tricks or tips though.

I remember in my younger years (back during the last ice age) we used to drill out (just slightly) the main jet in our motorcycle carb after putting a lower resistance muffler on. It seemed to run with more power and top end that way. In fact it had more power just with the less resistance muffler. But we were told by the shop tech that we should also drill out the jets cause the better breathing exhaust might cause a lean fuel scenario and in some cases if bad enough might burn a valve over time. Amazing I remember all that stuff. Anyhow the bike did run better and never burned a valve either.