Troy Built Horse Tiller drive pulley question

bcsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a question about my Troy Built Horse. I have never paid attention before but the drive pulley that turns the transmission and tines is loose. I can grab it and it moves on the shaft maybe 1/4". I'm not sure if this is normal or not, the tiller works. I have removed the engine and was going to remove the cast iron cover to get access to the drive pulley but cant get the cover off so I cant see how the pulley attaches. Does anyone have a Horse tiller to see if there is some play in the drive pulley? This is NOT the pulley that attaches to the engine but the belt turns this lower one. I would be curious if there is a way to tighten it, without getting that cover off I can barely see the shaft that it slides on. I would appreciate any advise, thanks!!

bcsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well got it fixed, finally figured out how to remove the housing to get access to the drive pulley. The pulley was held on to the drive shaft with a snap ring and a shim between the pulley and ring to take up the space. The problem was there was too much space the shim didn't cover. So with the snap ring removed I took the shim to our tractor parts store and purchased a few. I only needed one and the play is pretty much gone. So thankfully I don't need anymore help for this project.

I am now a member and may need help with my two mowers, a 2005 Cub Cadet Tank 60 and a 1995 John Deere 425. I had repairs on both this spring so never know when the next fix will be needed....