MTD Yardman 1996 help

hs5424

Threads
Hi All,
Just came across this site . Hopefully some forum members may have a machine similar to mine which is rare on this side of the Atlantic. My machine is an MTD Yardman, 136C561C643 and is mid 1990's. Never had any issues with it over the years until now.
While replacing all the drive belts recently a spring came dislodged and ended up on the workshop floor before I could photograph or sketch where it should be. Searching online I found an exploded view parts list at yardmanspares.co.uk/yard-man-lawn-tractors/11-5-76/136c561c643-1996/mtd006044 which displays the spring as part 48 . I can see where one end connects to from the drawing but the end marked C, I cannot ascertain what to connect it to.
What started out as a problem of slow speed ( which is why I replaced the belts ) has left me with another problem. As this mower is as rare as 'hens teeth' in this part of the world, I cannot make comparasons with a similar one or ask someone in the repair business. The original suppliers have long ceased trading.

Thank's in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I look at the parts diagram I’m thinking it may hook to the shift lever, part number 41. Can you find a hole or wear area around part number 47. If not hook it to the brake rod and start making a circle or arc with the spring. Look about 1-2 inches from the end of the spring for a wear or rubbing point.

hs5424

Threads
Thanks Rivets,
I will take a remove the rear wheel again and take a look. Let you know how it goes.

hs5424

Threads
Thanks Rivets,
I will take a remove the rear wheel again and take a look. Let you know how it goes.

UPDATE,
Had another look at the exploded view parts list and I can see where the spring is located. Point C is also shown as a point on the main frame between part's 58 and 59. So now I can concentrate on the original fault of slow driving speed. If any forum members have any suggestions please post them. I presume that the vertical play on the variable speed pulley is normal. Should I remove this to start with and clean / oil etc. I also presume that some form of tension regulator is what controls the driving speed on this machine.

dfbroxy

Threads
Take a look at the pulley, vari speed. It is likely stuck and the middle plate wont slide up and down. It is possible to clean them sometimes.

hs5424

Threads
Thanks dfbroxy for your reply,
I will give it a go over this holiday weekend and report back.

hs5424

Threads
Update,
I removed the vari-speed pulley and checked that the center disk could move up and down freely. I cleaned it and gave it a slight oiling. This has made no difference to the speed. To clarify, I replaced all the drive belts but these were Dunlop brand, not original, but are the exact measurements as the originals. Looking a the vari-speed pulley I see that the belts would probably be quiet critical to it working properly. When I fitted the new belts the conditions were exactly the same as when the originals were fitted. The spring tensioner's all seem to be ok.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts on these transmissions are critical.
If the Dunlops were OEM specification then you should be fine.
However AFAIK Dunlop do not make OEM spec belts for MTD mowers.
Down here Dunlop do not even market Kevlar fibre mower belts at all.
These belts are not exact inch measurements, they are wider than a std belt have a narrower V angle and are thinner top to bottom usually closest to a 5L profile .
They are very expensive because they are low volume special belts.
Oregon , Rotary , Prime Line & Stens all market OEM EXACT replacements that are cheaper.
Three of the above come out of the same factory but have different coloured covers the 4th is made in Mexico .
Belt profiles.jpg

hs5424

Threads
Thanks bertmobile1,
I think I should get my hands on original belts before I waste any more time chasing my tail. More difficult on this side of the Atlantic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks bertmobile1,
I think I should get my hands on original belts before I waste any more time chasing my tail. More difficult on this side of the Atlantic.

So you think it is any easier down here on the "white pimple on the brown bum of the planet "