help with Duraforce 10247 - starting issues

dom89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi need help troubleshooting this issue Duraforce Silverpro 10247:

Issue: Won't initial start 95% of the time . when outside temp is cold or hot -- makes no difference -- it doesn't start after I wheel it out of shed. The ONLY way I can make it start is leave it IN THE SUN on a hot day for a couple of hours, then it starts with one pull. Also after it does start, It will perform like a wonderful, amazing beast. I CAN restart with one pull after that within a few hours after the initial start.

Done so far but issue persists:
Cleaned carb. It is spotless and all injector holes are open. Cleaned airfilter. Spark plug is new (last year) but have not checked it. Problem was there with old sparkplug too. cleaned exhaust muffler (bottom) under the blade. Fuel line is clear. fuel flows out nicely out of line. Cap plug hole is clean. New fuel and carefully measured new fuel mixture.

What can be affected by sunlight and heat? and why would the machine be perfect after the first start? what can I check?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you clean the carb did you do two things. One, set the float height so it was level with the carb body when turned upside down? Two, did you clean the jet on the side of the carb, sometimes under a sticker with a number on it?

dom89

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you clean the carb did you do two things. One, set the float height so it was level with the carb body when turned upside down? Two, did you clean the jet on the side of the carb, sometimes under a sticker with a number on it?

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I removed and cleaned the side jet.

I did not check float height as you described. And I was not aware that the floater height can be adjusted. how?

lewb

Threads
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I removed and cleaned the side jet.

I did not check float height as you described. And I was not aware that the floater height can be adjusted. how?

copper tab on float that attaches to the swivel pin, use a needle nose plyers

dom89

Forum Newbie
Threads
copper tab on float that attaches to the swivel pin, use a needle nose plyers

thanks. So I need to make sure that the cork float sits parallel and flat on the body seat. And to understand further, this will ensure the pin valve to sit down (or up actually) and shut off fuel to the chamber when the floater "floats" up to the body seat. I'm just not sure how this relates to cold start issue.

lewb

Threads
Yes, best way to see if the needle is seated correctly is to first level the float, then place bowl on using fingers to hole in place, turn up side down and blow into gas inlet, you should not be able to get any air in if so you need to adjust float, if you cannot stop air then you will need a new needle and valve. Also turn right carb right side up and blow into inlet, should be very little restriction.

Russ2251

Threads
The next time you attempt to start and get no fire, CHECK FOR SPARK!!!
Sounds like a coil issue to me. Quite common on the model E engines.

dom89

Forum Newbie
Threads
The next time you attempt to start and get no fire, CHECK FOR SPARK!!!
Sounds like a coil issue to me. Quite common on the model E engines.

I thought about that. Do you think that coil and/or spark plug can be affected by sunlight heat? Remember that after initial start (after sitting in sun for 2 hrs), the mower will re-start every time - guaranteed with one crank -- within a couple of hours.

Russ2251

Threads
Do you think that coil and/or spark plug can be affected by sunlight heat?
Very definitely. There are "cures" for this problem all over the inter-webs.
Here's one example:
Lawn-Boy coil bake
Check for spark FIRST to verify problem.

dom89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very definitely. There are "cures" for this problem all over the inter-webs.

Wow. I never heard of this. Thank you! Moisture in the coil could explain what's happening -- as "baking" it in the sun resolves it. I will check the spark first, then carefully use blowdryer on the coil to simulate sun baking. If I confirm it's the coil, I will happily buy & replace it. Thanks again! I'll report back after testing.