Do all 4 wheel Honda models suffer the rear wheel seizing/adjuster bushes problems??

g4fne

Threads
  • / Do all 4 wheel Honda models suffer the rear wheel seizing/adjuster bushes problems??
I have a Honda Izy 21" HRG536VKEA that has the "Smartmow" variable speed paddle function. I am suffering the common problems of the rear wheels seizing when pulling back. I have had the updated rear adjusters and bushes fitted (as per bulletin) but the problem returned within a month of use, so i am now considering getting rid of it.

I aslo have a Honda Izy HRG416SK which is the 16" version but is a single speed self propelled (activated by a handle bar). What i want to know is whether the single speed version of these mowers in the bigger sizes also suffer the rear wheel adjuster bushing problems?? Can anyone please confirm??

bazar01

Threads
  • / Do all 4 wheel Honda models suffer the rear wheel seizing/adjuster bushes problems??
I picked up a used HRB 215 with the hydrostatic drive.
It also suffered the rear wheels seizing when mower is pulled back.
But for some reason I heard a pop when I pulled it back and the wheels got unstuck. Now I can pull it back without locking up.
I still have to pull the bushings and clean up the shaft, Maybe undersize the shaft by .003" by sanding it.

mmadwaite

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a HRR216 VKA. In doing my research, I came across a rear wheel lockup issue when pulling the mower backwards. Apparently they installed a pin in each rear wheel upside down. If you pull the mower straight back both wheels lock. If you pull back on one side, one wheel will be locked and one not. My mower has a front right wheel issue. The wheel is slightly off the ground on a level surface.

ghand

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a newbie here and this is my first post, but have been pushing mowers for 50 years now. A friend just offered me his 2 week old 216 VKA for half what he paid (health issue just arouse and he has gone with a lawn service), but I noticed what I would consider unacceptable rear wheel rolling resistance when needing to pull the mower backwards. This would be very annoying new and gets to the point of locking up after some use. Seems this has been a decades+ old problem that Honda has failed to remedy with their self-propelled rear wheel drive system. So much to like about Honda products and mowers, but this is a deal killer for me given that my mowing environments have always required high manuverability. Hope you good luck with yours though.

mmadwaite

Forum Newbie
Threads
As far as I know the HRR216VKAs had a problem where the rear wheels locking up when pulling the mower backwards. I have listened to you tubes which showed how to replace the rear wheel pins since they were installed upside down. I recently purchased a Honda HRR216VKA self propelled walk behind mower. Mine doesn't have this problem, but the right front wheel is about 1/16 inch off the ground on a level surface. When you mow the wheel skips. I think this problem has been around a while and Honda has not done anything about it. It still cuts the grass ya. However, the mower's left front wheel gets too much weight and will fail. You tubes have said that the right front wheel support needs to be replaced. However, they don't say what is wrong with the part. The authorized Honda Repair Dealer has had my mower for a month. I have contacted Honda's Customer Service and they have said that it has been escalated up to a Case Manager. Still haven't heard and I don't feel confident that Honda will repair the problem. It should be fixed under warranty. If the support is the problem, why is Honda still selling mowers with this issue?

tadawson

Threads
Not sure on that model, but the HR series has an eccentric bolt on the left front that allows you to adjust for even contact . . . can't see why they would not have kept doing that . . . .