testing safety switches

Bob4

Threads
Older walker '90s..Is testing the safety switches as simple as pulling the plug and closing/completing the circuit on the wire side?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, you have to find out if you have a normally open or normally closed switch. Second, some safety switches actually are two switches in one body. They are used where current must flow through them different directions, depending on how the unit is being operated at the time. If you can get a wiring diagram, it would help you understand the type of switch and how it is used in each circuit.

Bob4

Threads
this was a seat switch. No continuity.
Also have discovered that I do not have power to the blue wire on the starter. Can this be because of a bad saftey switch?
When I try to jump the starter with a screw driver alls I hear is a large thump like the solenoid is engaging but no turning of the motor.
Let me toss in that both relays are good.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The blur wire is the solenoid trigger wire and will only be 12 V while the ignition switch is in the start position if all the safety switches are in their correct positions.
If you jump from the red power wire to the blue wire the solenoid should trip & the starter turn.
If not then you have a problem with the solenoid/ starter.
From your description I assume that you have the starter with the tubular solenoid on the side like a car engine.

Bob4

Threads
Yes, the solenoid is tubular and on top of the starter. I'm guessing the thump I'm hearing ( big one ,metal hitting metal)is the solenoid making the starter engage the flywheel? Sound about right ? But nothing turns, yet the starter is supposed to be new. Looks that way also.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take it off & check it.
Could be the wrong starter.
Could be a bad solenoid.
On those types the solenoid both switches the power to the starter and pushes the drive gear up into the flywheel teeth.
So it could be faulty and not pushing the gear, the starter could be faulty and not rotating or the gears could be wrong and not meshing.

Bob4

Threads
I will do that . Thanks for the advice.

Bob4

Threads
I took it for granted that thee guy ahead of me wired the starter correctly. Nope! I can now jump the starter and have it crank the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To get power to the blue wire it is a long & torturous path.
Starting at the fuse power goes to the B terminal on the ign switch ( battery power )
From these it goes to the S = Start terminal
Then to the PTO switch, through that if it is turned off
Then to the hand brake safety switch which if it is working will pass voltage through to the blue wire and energise the starter solenoid.

If any link in the chain fails, then you ain't going anywhere.

So now you have to put on the deer stalker, grab the magnifier and do some investigating.