YTH2348 Starting issue

Bbentley40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I just bought a used YTH2348 with a starting issue, so I am trying to diagnose it before I start replacing parts. When you turn the key the engine will click and hum like it’s wanting to turn over but doesn’t. If you keep bumping the ignition to the start position it will eventually start. Not sure if I should start with the ignition switch, solenoid or starter.. so thought I would see if anyone else has had this issue. I have a small video of what it’s doing, I can work on getting it uploaded or email it to anyone who might can help.

Thanks!

Bbentley40

Forum Newbie
Threads

Here is a video of the issue, I just loaded it to youtube so I could share it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the plug out and try again.
Engine spins rapidly every time = decompressor problem
Liquid fuel blast out of plug hole = carb float problem
No change = electrical problem
Run a jumper directly from the battery + to the starter motor.
motor spins quickly = solenoid or heavy solenoid wiring problem
No change then run a jumper from the battery - to the drain plug ( or other good ground near the starter.
Starter spins freely = ground connection problem
no change = faulty starter.

Some starters have rebuild kits for the brushes some don't.

Bbentley40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the plug out and try again.
Engine spins rapidly every time = decompressor problem
Liquid fuel blast out of plug hole = carb float problem
No change = electrical problem
Run a jumper directly from the battery + to the starter motor.
motor spins quickly = solenoid or heavy solenoid wiring problem
No change then run a jumper from the battery - to the drain plug ( or other good ground near the starter.
Starter spins freely = ground connection problem
no change = faulty starter.

Some starters have rebuild kits for the brushes some don't.

Excellent.. I will run down that list tomorrow after work. Thanks!

Luffydog

Threads
Sounded like the starter spinning and then caught then started. Like the gear is bad

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think after performing the earlier mentioned test's are done, you will most likely find a valve adjutment is called for...

Bbentley40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounded like the starter spinning and then caught then started. Like the gear is bad

I checked it this morning before work and yes it sounds like the starter is spinning (thats the humming sound I was referring to) but the engine does turn over. After bumping the key a few times the engine will catch and turn over. Soon as the engine turns over it starts up and runs fine.

Bbentley40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally had a chance to test some things. At the end of it all it was the starter pinion. It had worn to the point that the threads inside of it would not allow it to freely spin up the shaft. Bumping the starter over and over just happened to get it to eventually spin up. Replaced the pinion and it fires up like a champ now! Engine surges a little.. I am sure the carb is dirty. I am going to tear it down and clean it next. Here is a pic of the gear I swapped. You can see the wear on the threads. B50F9EE7-8044-478F-9B24-3F0854769108.jpg6D273DA5-9FD8-4BC6-BD07-5FDD753677A2.jpg