Longest WIX oil filter I can use on my Kawasaki FR651V ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Longest WIX oil filter I can use on my Kawasaki FR651V ?
Kawasaki 49065-7007 is the short filter, 49065-7010 is the longer filter.

Yes but I talked directly to WIX, & they said the 7010 is not a direct cross-over, & said they would NOT use it. I'm sure it will fit, but I'm not gonna risk it. I'll stick to the shorty 7007.

Boo- I got some big Paws..:laughing: And the oil dip stick is right next to the filter. I've been getting them off by hand, but it is tight fit for my hand to get a good grab. Just trying to make that easier.

BIG paws for BIG boobies !! .. sometimes , Life is Nice !! .. :cool:.. :laughing:..

Boo- Yes sometimes it is indeed. :thumbsup: :laughing:

John R

Threads
Threads
I myself don't like the real big ones...... I like the small medium hand sized ones that stand up, not sagging...... Like the ones I see every morning on here .........

John.... I used to watch the Red Green show all the time ........ What ever happened to him and his show ????

John R

Threads
John.... I used to watch the Red Green show all the time ........ What ever happened to him and his show ????

Not sure, they have reruns on Saturday evening, try to catch then when I can.
Look on the PBS stations in your area.

clubairth

Threads
Yes I add oil capacity as well as filter capacity.
These are hot running air cooled engines and rely on the oil a great deal.

Factory Kawasaki 49065-7007 -->WIX 57035 (2.3" Long)
WIX 51056 (2.7" Long)
WIX 51348 (3.4" Long)
WIX 51516 (4.8" Long) Also Motocraft FL400A

The factory used the shorter oil filter strictly for packaging purposes as these Kawasaki engines are used in many applications.
The longer ones fit fine in the ZT mower application.
I like the longer ones because I write the hours on them and don't need to remember or write down anything.

Also I found out that NAPA Gold filters are WIX.

lil SIG

Threads
Yes I add oil capacity as well as filter capacity.
These are hot running air cooled engines and rely on the oil a great deal.

Factory Kawasaki 49065-7007 -->WIX 57035 (2.3" Long)
WIX 51056 (2.7" Long)
WIX 51348 (3.4" Long)
WIX 51516 (4.8" Long) Also Motocraft FL400A

The factory used the shorter oil filter strictly for packaging purposes as these Kawasaki engines are used in many applications.
The longer ones fit fine in the ZT mower application.
I like the longer ones because I write the hours on them and don't need to remember or write down anything.

Also I found out that NAPA Gold filters are WIX.
Agreed

Kawasaki 49065-7007

Wix 57035 - 2.3" long - This is the stock replacement size.
Wix 51056 - 2.7" long
Wix 51348 - 3.4" Long
Wix 51516 - 4.8" Long - Also Motorcraft FL400A

I will be going with the Wix 51516 filter for maximum oil volume. Same bypass as Kawasaki. Also the Wix filters filter to 21 microns as opposed to the 25 in the Kawasaki OEM filter.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kawasaki 49065-0724 is the latest offering. Long & narrower, than the 49065-0721
Which mine is still under warranty & I'm currently running it the 0724 on my Z.

I'd be cautious to getting too low of a micron rating filter. That could slow down the precious oil.

clubairth

Threads
So far over 100 hours using the bigger Wix filters with zero problems. Probably won't make a measurable difference but I do like the few extra ounces of engine oil.

I also added the factory Kawasaki oil cooler plate. Not as good as a completely separate cooler radiator but it does remove some added heat.

lil SIG

Threads
Kawasaki 49065-0724 is the latest offering. Long & narrower, than the 49065-0721
Which mine is still under warranty & I'm currently running it the 0724 on my Z.

I'd be cautious to getting too low of a micron rating filter. That could slow down the precious oil.
I agree about being cautious of getting too low of a micron rating filter. As it can slow oil. However I only mow in the summer so cold thick oil isn't an issue.

Also Kawasaki says change the oil every 100 hours and the "Filter Every 200 Hours". I will be changing the oil and filter Every 50 Hours or less.

However if you take in the consideration that you have MORE THAN DOUBLED and more likely tripple the surface area of the factory filter that the oil passes through. While increasing the filtration by 4-7 micron sizes depending on the kawasaki filter.

I would bet you actually decrease restriction/ pressure drop due to increased surface area. While removing more contaminants.

Also adding more volume of oil to break down and increasing filter canister surface area to vent heat.

If any one wants the 51516XP MICRON RATING is 99% @ 30 microns. It also has the exact same bypass pressure 8-11. If one wanted to absolutely decrease pressure drop.

clubairth

Threads
Don't worry about the micron rating being too low. Way more than that to look at when picking a filter. Size of the filter media is number one. The more of that you have the better the filter and of course the higher the price too!

No increase in pressure drop? Read about filters. It works just the opposite? Larger filter-lower pressure drop. I also want a by-pass built in in case of plugging. Just a bit of insurance. For a in depth look at all this have you looked at Bob is The Oil Guy forum?
Bob Is The Oil Guy

Remember the only reason Kawasaki uses such a small compact filter is for packaging and lowest cost. As you go up in the Kawasaki line you will see better and bigger air and oil filters. In fact after educating myself on all this I added a MUCH better Donaldson type air filter to my Hustler Raptore.

Now this cost $250 so you can see why we did not get this massively better air filter in a lower model engine!

Factory air filter;

Old Air Filter.jpg

Donaldson Filter Upgrade kit;

New Air Filter.jpg