Garage Air Compressor

173abn

Threads
Bought a used two piston PUMA and restored it to mint condition.It's electric and has twin tanks....russ

upupandaway

Threads
...Do we have anyone with a godd (or bad) Harbor Freight compressor story?

I got the 240V 60gallon compressor from HF. Steel tank (still last time i looked)made in US. I paint and blast with mine now and then.

15 years knock, knock.

Here are some things i learned shopping and buying this one to replace a no oil pump:

Oil quieter
Oil cyl lasts longer
Oil many times 240v would need new breaker
Oil for more volume jobs- blasting\painting
Oil larger tank- last longer before internal condensation and it spits out water

no oil won't leak blowing oil
no oil cheap
no oil 120V
no oil takes forever to build pressure to blast again.
no oil usually on small tank- condensation\spitting water pretty quick

deminin

Threads
I am in Harbor Freight perhaps every other month buying something. I do not know much as far as their compressors hold up compared to some of the other similiar priced compressors. Do we have anyone with a godd (or bad) Harbor Freight compressor story?

If you go to the Harbor Freight website, and pull up a given item, you will find a link to "read reviews" right next to the "blue stars" alongside the picture of the item. There, you can read dozens, often hundreds, of comments from customers who have bought the item.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A while back I bought an HF 2.5 HP 21 gallon vertical tank combination oil lubed unit to use at a place where I mow the lawn weekly but need to clean my ZTR several times while mowing there.
At $150 it is an OK compressor. It is high amps at starting and runs at 14 amps 115 VAC. I had to increase the wire size to the outlets in the shed where I use it, fortunately not a big deal.
I did notice the compressor oil getting silver from metal particles, so I brought it home to my shop for the winter and have been using it. It took about 4-5 oil changes to cleanup the oil. I did carefully remove the sight glass and wipe it clean without damaging the gasket, the oil now stays clean so I assume that the compressor is now broken in.
I checked the actual max pressure and it was 112 PSI. I have readjusted the pressure switch to cut out at 125 PSI. The gauges are fairly accurate. Cut in at 90 PSI cut out at 125 PSI. Being a portable vertical tank unit it is easy to drain the water thru the large easy to open drain valve.
I have a 20 gallon horizontal 2 HP 115VAC V twin Porter Cable air compressor in my shop which replaced a 60 gallon vertical tank V twin 240 VAC Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I sold along with two blasting cabinets as I wasn't using them much.

1pep

Threads
Depending on your needs, and to be clear. I'm not suggesting this particular model. I 'm just conveying a thought using a link.

NorthStar Belt Drive Single-Stage Portable Air Compressor 2 HP 20Gal Hor 5.5 CFM

Is a way better option than that oil-less thing

pep

clusters4400

Threads
I just purchased this little gem at a thrift store for 45 bucks. 1hp, 12 gallon and its as old as I am and runs like a champ, and builds pressure quickly. it does bounce like a frog on hot asphalt, but from what I read, that a design flaw. I have a feeling it will do fine for what I need. Running some small tools and a blower mainly. it is an oil compressor, but the biggest question still remains, what kind of oil do you use? You can buy "compressor oil" but I have also read that you can use synthetic, non detergent oil.

Attachments

• 919_176320photo.png
    919_176320photo.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 7

1pep

Threads
I suggest you just the use of compressor oil, can be found easily. Motor oils aren't designed for electric motors < (brain fart) LOL.

Suggestion remains the same, use compressor oil, for the compressor pump

Northerntool, HF

That rig will serve you well, change the oil every 1 - 2 years and it will last and be trouble free.

pep

My compressor is only 20 some years old, powered 24 X 7 x 365, compressor oil used exclusively,

COMP.jpg

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just purchased this little gem at a thrift store for 45 bucks. 1hp, 12 gallon and its as old as I am and runs like a champ, and builds pressure quickly. it does bounce like a frog on hot asphalt, but from what I read, that a design flaw. I have a feeling it will do fine for what I need. Running some small tools and a blower mainly. it is an oil compressor, but the biggest question still remains, what kind of oil do you use? You can buy "compressor oil" but I have also read that you can use synthetic, non detergent oil.

That's a single cylinder Piston pump, powered by the electric motor beside it.

Mine is 3-1/2 hp & I've been running it on Castrol HD 30w since I bought it in 1995. I change oil every year tho, same time.

clusters4400

Threads
Its a twin cyclinder for sure. I just verified it.. But when it tries to refill it trips the breakers in the house. Does fine when empty but the head pressure is making it work harder

Gonna try fresh oil. A thinner air filter and if that doesnt work. Maybe new breakers:\

1pep

Threads
"Gonna try fresh oil. A thinner air filter and if that doesnt work. Maybe new breakers:\ "
None of those are the problem most likely ..
Most probable will be the pressure relief valve, dumps the head pressure, so the motor can start when tank is pressurized.

It is part of the pressure switch that cuts the motor off when full pressure is reached, it dumps the head pressure.

They are cheap 30 bucks or so.

That lever upper left side on/off, with the red tip, can you post a picture of that area from behind. When I see it I will be able to point out what I'm talking about.

If you can remove the plastic dust cover post picture of the plumbing would be great also

pep