What would cause this to happen?

turbofiat124

Threads
So I've got two Snapper Hi-Vacs. One was made in 1979 and the other one was made around 2000. I'm wanting to use parts from both mowers and make a running mower.

I robbed the deck off the 79 model to use on a 2001 model which I later sold after buying a new Husqvarna riding tractor and acquiring an 2009 MTD by helping my sister-in-law move. So I didn't need it. I miss not having a Snapper because I like the way they mow and you can't beat their traction on hills.

The plan is to use the rear wheels/tires, 15 HP Kohler engine, deck and whatever parts off the 2000 model and transfer it to the 79 model.

The problem with the 2000 model is it's stuck in 3rd gear. My co-worker said it was not worth fixing.

The problem with the 79 model is the rear end is locked up. When I put it into neutral the rear wheels will not turn so I had to drag it using another lawnmower.

I also have a partial rear end from another Snapper he gave me I could use parts from. The question is, what would be the most likely cause for the rear end to lock up yet the sliding mechanism for the speed control still slides? Could the chain have snapped and is wrapped around the big gear (#11)?

I'd like to fix this mower myself, although I have more important things I need to repair so I might just take it him who would rather fix lawnmowers than cars. Funny one day he stopped over at my house and I was putting an alternator on my 98 Chevy van and I told him I'd rather work on a car any day than I would a lawnmower due to all the linkages and stuff related to the transmission. He was just the opposite! He takes his cars to have someone else work on them yet fixes lawnmowers on the side!

Here is some diagrams. I'm wondering if the best way to tackle this is to remove the left rear wheel and remove plate (#21). Then go from there. The problem either has to be in the gearbox or the chain box.

diagram.gif

diagram.gif

Mow Joe

Threads
The gear box/differentials seldom lock up. Usually they will freewheel when they fail. Don't attempt to take the RH fender off while the differential is still in the mower or you will have one messy fustercluck on your hands. If something is locked, it is most likely a broken chain in the chain case or the needle bearings #9 seized on the sprocket #11. The chain case can be removed by removing the LH wheel, hub, and fender, but it's easier to pull the differential and the chain case will just be dangling. Also, if the differential is the problem, you will already have it out.

turbofiat124

Threads
Found this guy on YouTube who has an extensive video collection repairing the rear ends on Snappers. He makes it look so easy. He says the easiest way to take the rear end apart is to remove the fender off the differential side and the whole thing will come apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYgBTmuzS_4

Mow Joe

Threads
The video shows him removing the differential as an assembly, just like I always did it. I always left the LH fender and chain case on the mower, just as he stated that could be done. I'm not sure why his were removed since I didn't watch the entire video.