I probably need rear engine mower but want a lawn tractor - advice?

WesDoobner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I probably need rear engine mower but want a lawn tractor - advice?
I've spent the weekend looking at mowers and I had almost decided on a RER, but looking at the ones available in my area - the Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt and Craftsman, all seem to be the same model with slight variations, built by MTD. Of those, I like the Cub Cadet version best since it's got a hydro transmission, but I could live with a manual to save money - tough choice. But then I came across a Husqvarna 38 inch tractor still being made that seems like an ideal solution for my needs since it would fit the gate much better than any 42 incher. So, I'm torn between a troy-bilt or Cub cadet RER, or the Husky 38 inch tractor. I may go to the local pro lawn mower shops at lunch today and see if they have any used mowers.

lamrith

Threads
  • / I probably need rear engine mower but want a lawn tractor - advice?
For maneuverability and cutting down on trimming, you will be hard pressed to beat a RER unless you jump to a ZTR. It will get the deck in tighter to obstacles easier than a tractor will.

I would also say that given your property size I think you are looking a bit on the large size in terms of deck. I do not see where you mention what you are using right now (maybe I just missed it)? 42" is a deck size I think is more oriented toward someone with an Acre. Having to make less passes is great, but for such a small property and how infrequent you mow it then becomes cumbersome because it is too big to maneuver. Any time savings you could gain thru fewer passes, even if you mow 2x a month now, would be lost in having to jockey around things versus a smaller unit.
I have a full acre, with a small footprint home and a 42" has served me well the last 20yrs just to give you an idea. But it gets tedious around the trees and obstacles I do have which is why I just went to ZTR. I just say that as I think if you drop deck size a hair it may really open up a bunch of options which may be more affordable and a better fit overall. Looks like there are a few 30" which I think may be an idea size, bigger than the usual 16-21" push mower, but smaller and more maneuverable than a 40" RER or tractor. Maybe see if there is a 30" class RER with Hydrostatic drive, the Hydro drive you will love when you need to maneuver around things, it has been a lifesaver with my 42" the last 20yrs.