Simplicity ZT 16 44 runs and mows great for 30 Minutes the dies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Simplicity ZT 16 44 runs and mows great for 30 Minutes the dies.
Sorry about the red herring. no Idea why I wrote Toro in place of Simplicity.

The bit you remove is the large cover usually held on by 4 bolts, two at the front & two at the end.
None of them need to come out as the holes are slotted so undo them 3 turns and the top should pull off.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- My fault for adding the name of my machine. Sorry.

thood1954

Threads
Sorry about the red herring. no Idea why I wrote Toro in place of Simplicity.

The bit you remove is the large cover usually held on by 4 bolts, two at the front & two at the end.
None of them need to come out as the holes are slotted so undo them 3 turns and the top should pull off.
I might have to remove a bar that runs across the top of that cover also. I know that the gas tank is one of the things mounted to it.

thood1954

Threads
I might have to remove a bar that runs across the top of that cover also. I know that the gas tank is one of the things mounted to it.
I took some pics now that I have the cover off. Hope they go through.

Attachments

• Mower 1.jpg
    Mower 1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Mower 2.jpg
    Mower 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 15
  • Mower 3.jpg
    Mower 3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Mower 4.jpg
    Mower 4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 13

Lawn Addict
Threads
After seeing yer pics, I'd say you seriously need to gunk (de-grease) that engine, particularly around the cylinder, that has such a thick layer of caked on oily crud, that WILL cause it to overheat, & eventually kill that engine.

Those fins (in pic # 2) NEED to be clean to aid in cooling, as well as the rest of it. Don't get water into the coil connections or any electrical parts.

thood1954

Threads
After seeing yer pics, I'd say you seriously need to gunk (de-grease) that engine, particularly around the cylinder, that has such a thick layer of caked on oily crud, that WILL cause it to overheat, & eventually kill that engine.

Those fins (in pic # 2) NEED to be clean to aid in cooling, as well as the rest of it. Don't get water into the coil connections or any electrical parts.
I have some foamy engine cleaner on hand as well as other degreaser. When I was taking it apart, the gas tank started leaking from the grommet and the air filter was filthy. I went to a dealer and have those to install. I also need the U bar that goes across that the seat rests on. It's cracked in the middle and was welded at one time but broke again. It can be ordered but costs $90. I passed on it for now but wanted is ask you if there is another source through the internet where I might find one.

thood1954

Threads
I have some foamy engine cleaner on hand as well as other degreaser. When I was taking it apart, the gas tank started leaking from the grommet and the air filter was filthy. I went to a dealer and have those to install. I also need the U bar that goes across that the seat rests on. It's cracked in the middle and was welded at one time but broke again. It can be ordered but costs $90. I passed on it for now but wanted is ask you if there is another source through the internet where I might find one.
Cleaned mower and took 2 more pics. Look at those clumps of grease! Fixed gas tank and installed new air filter. Sadly, I still have the problem.

Attachments

• Mower5.jpg
    Mower5.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Mower 6.jpg
    Mower 6.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 12

Lawn Addict
Threads
No offense, but you can't really call that engine clean, you seem to have just relocated the heaviest stuff to lower on the engine.

Air cooled engine needs all the engine clean & exposed to the blower on top.

I pull my engine cover end of each mow season. It's easy & best to be sure my engine is super clean.

About your broken bar, if it is hollow, you can find a solid bar that you force into the hollow bar. Then put both haves back together. It would be Stronger than a new one.

thood1954

Threads
No offense, but you can't really call that engine clean, you seem to have just relocated the heaviest stuff to lower on the engine.

Air cooled engine needs all the engine clean & exposed to the blower on top.

I pull my engine cover end of each mow season. It's easy & best to be sure my engine is super clean.

About your broken bar, if it is hollow, you can find a solid bar that you force into the hollow bar. Then put both haves back together. It would be Stronger than a new one.
The pics are of what I found. The engine is clean. I don't understand why the engine fins are covered by metal plates. (at least 3 different sections.) wouldn't this contribute to overheating as well as collecting gunk in between? I haven't looked at the spark plug yet either. The mower gets hot after a few minutes of mowing. I can feel intense heat coming off the right side onto my lower leg. The muffler is located on that side also. That bar is solid. I hoping to find one somewhere rather than paying $90 for one. I'm hoping this thing isn't a POS, I'm starting to wonder. Maybe I'll be able to take some more pics showing how the metal shielding is located on this engine. Unlike your Toro there's much more involved than loosening a few bolts. You have to take them completely out. It even looks like you have to take the muffler off to get one of those sections completely off. (I was able to get it real loose to clean behind it.) By the way, I appreciate your help, a zero turn is new to me, I'm used to riders. Still using a 15 year old Craftsman to get the grass mowed for now. Lol. I'm going to add 7 pics of what the mower looks like.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
The pics are of what I found. The engine is clean. I don't understand why the engine fins are covered by metal plates. (at least 3 different sections.) wouldn't this contribute to overheating as well as collecting gunk in between? I haven't looked at the spark plug yet either. The mower gets hot after a few minutes of mowing. I can feel intense heat coming off the right side onto my lower leg. The muffler is located on that side also. That bar is solid. I hoping to find one somewhere rather than paying $90 for one. I'm hoping this thing isn't a POS, I'm starting to wonder. Maybe I'll be able to take some more pics showing how the metal shielding is located on this engine. Unlike your Toro there's much more involved than loosening a few bolts. You have to take them completely out. It even looks like you have to take the muffler off to get one of those sections completely off. (I was able to get it real loose to clean behind it.) By the way, I appreciate your help, a zero turn is new to me, I'm used to riders. Still using a 15 year old Craftsman to get the grass mowed for now. Lol. I'm going to add 7 pics of what the mower looks like.

Clean ? Not yet, in your latest pics anyhow..I see NO new pics ? And that is critical. Someone never took the time to keep the engine clean as it should be. If it was kept clean, all the disassembly would not be necessary.

And to why the fins have metal cover plates around them, that is to direct the air coming down from the blower (round thing on top of engine with the fins sticking up & rotates when running), the air must be contained so it can be directed to blow over the engine, thus cooling it. It yours was liquid cooled no cover plates would be necessary.

Check the spark plug, it 'should' have a tan to light brown color to it.

As to your solid bad, well, how about finding a hollow bar that is just slightly bigger & put it over the 2 sections.

The muffler: Can you look inside it & see if some critter hasn't built a nest in there, a partially blocked muffler will cause overheat as well.