26 HP Courage SV735 stops running after mowing about 15 minutes

ossroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 26 HP Courage SV735 stops running after mowing about 15 minutes
After sitting for the winter, I went to mow the lawn for the first time. Started right up and mowed fine for a while then acted like it was running out of gas and stopped. After filling the tank, it ran for a while and quit again. I figured carb must be gummed up from sitting all winter, so I removed and cleaned it. Put it all back together and now it wouldn't start at all, even with starting fluid. Replaced plugs, air cleaner-to-carb gasket and lubed linkage and it started right up. Mowed strong exactly 15 minutes and it died. Engine only has 169 hours on it and is about 5 years old. Oil and filter are overdue for a change, which I hope to do today, but I don't think that will solve the problem. New air filter is on the way, but the old one didn't look dirty and I blew it out with compressed air just to be sure. I also tried running with gas cap loosened. Any other ideas?

Roy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
grab a can of carb cleaner and an in line spark tester ( search for "best spark tester" on the forum ) some on found some really cheap one a while back.
Fit the testers ( one on each cylinder ) then go mow.
The instant it stops, check for red flashes when you crank the engine, which will verify the magnetos are working properly.
next whip off the air filter and give the engine a quick shot of carb cleaner then crank.
Engine starts up then fuel supply problem is confirmed.
Two usual suspects here
1) vent in tank cap is blocked - unscrew & try again
2) debris in tank is blocking off the fuel outlet - pull the fuel line before the pump and blow back up the line ( PIA if you have a mechanical pump )

bill-d-c

Threads
I have that same engine on my mower. It runs for about 15 minutes, then dies. It will restart if you choke it, but will die after a minute or two. I thought it seemed fuel related, checked online for a new carb, $275.00 plus shipping. Mower is still sitting. Have you cornered the problem with yours yet? Also with mine, unless the throttle is at full RPM, it wants to pulsate.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bill,
Same story for you, start by doing the above test to confirm it you have an electrical or fuel problem, although yours really sounds like fuel.
Go to http://outdoorpowerinfo.com and in the repairs section you will find a really good photo instructions on cleaning your carb.
Next time it stops try removing the fuel cap. problem goes away = blocked tank vent
Does not go away.
Remove the fuel line to the tank and clean the tank out.
Replace all of the fuel lines from the tank through to the carb

bill-d-c

Threads
Thanks for the help. I will try the simple things tomorrow, cleaning the carb might have to wait till the weekend. I thought it was a fuel problem as well. When it would die after running, you would need to choke it to restart it. Shouldn't need to choke a warm engine. I'm afraid it's a carb issue...or maybe fuel pump?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
a 15 minute time to failure means something is happening OVER TIME.
SO the most likely culprit will be something that is restricting the flow of fuel from the tank.
Usual suspects are debris in the tank or vacuum lock caused by blocked vent.
Unscrewing the fuel cap overcomes the vacuum lock.
so that will only leave crud build up in the tank or fuel lines.
Start with the easy bit & loosen the cap.

Hisexcellency

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with my Command Pro 27. It sat all winter then started with the symptoms: dying after about 15 minutes from numerous COLD starts, can be restarted with choke, but dies right out again when heated. New fuel pump, new filter, new fuel lines(two clean tanks), carburetor cleaner, air filter, tank caps OFF even. Same symptoms. Is there a sensor somewhere shutting us down?? I have a what appears to be a wire coming from the bottom of my one barrel carburetor bowl. I can't find the diagram. Everyone seems to suspect fuel at first. Could a sensor change the fuel feed and cause this to happen?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wire on the bottom of the carb is the fuel shut off solenoid, an EPA regulation to stop the unburned fuel exiting from the 10 or so revolutions between when you turn the engine off and it stops rotating wiping out all life on the planet. :confused2:
You can replace it with a bolt for the purpose of making a diagnosis but remember running without out it connected can lead to massive fines in some states ( seriously , loose your house stuff ).

Two things cause the mower to die out over a set time .
1) bad module in the magneto
2) Something restriciting the fuel supply
So go back to the start of this thread and do the same things to confirm weather you have a fuel or electrical problem then get back with what you find.

Hisexcellency

Forum Newbie
Threads
The wire on the bottom of the carb is the fuel shut off solenoid, an EPA regulation to stop the unburned fuel exiting from the 10 or so revolutions between when you turn the engine off and it stops rotating wiping out all life on the planet. :confused2:
You can replace it with a bolt for the purpose of making a diagnosis but remember running without out it connected can lead to massive fines in some states ( seriously , loose your house stuff ).

Two things cause the mower to die out over a set time .
1) bad module in the magneto
2) Something restriciting the fuel supply
So go back to the start of this thread and do the same things to confirm weather you have a fuel or electrical problem then get back with what you find.

Thank you. It seems that fuel problems have can many causes not so easily diagnosed.

CGVande55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqy LGT2654. After setting during the winter, it wasn't until about June that I was able to tear her down for a complete go-over from top to bottom. I used her up until that time because my backup rider was not charging the battery (wound up installing a new alternator. Now I can't seem to keep alignment keys). Anyhow, after I got her back together, with 423 hours on the meter, it started to stall out as if it wasn't getting any gas after about 45 minutes of run time. It would start again and again, but the time would get shorter and shorter, where now it only runs for about 5 minutes than quits. Today(4Sept18) I sprayed the carb and linkage down with cleaner and then filled the tank with injector and carb cleaner. Replace the fuel lines and filter(again). Started it and it ran for over an hour at idle. but as soon as I put it under load to cut grass, it started to stall and then finally quit. Barely got it back tot the shed. Got my spare rider out, cut some grass and then parked it. Well, I'll be ....... when I got back out to start it, it backfired which meant it spun and threw another alignment key(that's number 4 in the past 5 weeks, so since the engine is an old B&S, I'm going to install a final key and spot weld the crank and armature.). As to the Husqy, after reading what many of you have posted, I didn't want to do it, but I guess I'll just have to break down and tear the carb apart.