Kubota z122e, Ferris 400s, or Timecutter HD...

markinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
That snapper looks like a pretty good value. Didn't see any of those here, and the cheapest unit with serviceable hydro-gears units I could get quoted was the CuB Cadet for $3599, then the next was Raptor SD for $3899. At that point, it was...well, for a couple hundred more I can get a suspension (Ferris), or another couple hundred the zt3100 drives (Kubota).... It was a slippery slope at that point.

But if I had started under 3k...it might have ended there.

Couldn't find published weigh for my Toro, so I call customer service.... 967lbs. At least it has bigger tires (sigh). That may have swayed my decision towards the Ferris.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snapper machines are owned by Briggs. Except for Snappers commercial line.
That's why you will have a hard time finding a Kaw on a res unit.

Good price on that Toro Timecutter HD.

markinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Updated: Kubota z122e, Ferris 400s, or Timecutter HD...

Update: Had the dealer trade the toro for the 400S. The Toro is a much larger frame, wheelbase, tires etc. and in my effort to mow around fence posts, the rear wheels kept rubbing the post. At one point the sidewall hit and cause the tire to spin. The Ferris was much easier and smoother to maneuver around the posts, mail box, fire hydrant, landscape rocks and all the other junk in my yard. Very glad my dealer let me trade the units. I will say the Toro gave a more even cut, smoother ride, and was a bit faster. Very impressed with the Toro, just wasn't the right mower for my yard. A 48" deck on the Toro just does not do it justice....IMHO.

Last edited:

lamrith

Threads
Re: Updated: Kubota z122e, Ferris 400s, or Timecutter HD...

Update: Had the dealer trade the toro for the 400S. The Toro is a much larger frame, wheelbase, tires etc. and in my effort to mow around fence posts, the rear wheels kept rubbing the post. At one point the sidewall hit and cause the tire to spin. The Ferris was much easier and smoother to maneuver around the posts, mail box, fire hydrant, landscape rocks and all the other junk in my yard. Very glad my dealer let me trade the units. I will say the Toro gave a more even cut, smoother ride, and was a bit faster. Very impressed with the Toro, just wasn't the right mower for my yard. A 48" deck on the Toro just does not do it justice....IMHO.

Wow, the torro gave a smoother ride? Pretty amazing given how plush the 400S I rode was. Very cool your dealer let you trade out as well. Not many will do that that I found, kuddos to them, they deserve your business. Mine was/is charging $725 over MSRP for an already expensive Ferris bagger. Unfortunately they also are the Torro dealer, but did not have the HD in stock for me to look at before the sticker shock sent me away.

Thanks again for sharing your input on both.

markinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Updated: Kubota z122e, Ferris 400s, or Timecutter HD...

Wow, the torro gave a smoother ride?

For instance, I have about 5 dips in the yard where trees once where, stumps removed, and ground settled. The Toro went straight over them, leaving the grass completely level. The Ferris finds those spots, and I feel them. The Toro My Ride seat/platform does a better job reducing bounce and absorbing some vibration. Remember, the Toro is also 214lbs heavier, bigger wheels, wider & longer wheelbase..... I have read reducing tire psi can help, and haven't tried adjusting the preload on the shocks (prolly won't). But it's still a good ride, and all I have to do is slow down a little bit for it not to bother me.