Hi everyone. New here, but I just got my hands on a 1998 917.270770

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hi everyone. New here, but I just got my hands on a 1998 917.270770
Hello everyone.. I just got my hands on a 1998 (maybe '99, Manufactured November 1998) Craftsman rider from my uncle. It's got a 19.5HP Briggs engine and 6 spd trans. with a 42'' deck. I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a bagger available for this machine... I've been on Sears and Craftsmans websites only to find that the baggers they have are for 2010 and newer, or a 247 source code. It looks like there is still a plow available, which I'm excited about... but I've got 20x8x8 tires and haven't found any chains for it. Any help would be greatly apperciated!

PS... Here is my OLD Craftsman tractor I 'hot rodded' back in high school in the late 90s... thing sounded like a harley at idle, had no brakes (or deck, for that matter. just for fun) and went about 26MPH. Fun times.

Attachments

• GT2.jpg
    GT2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much! I'll keep this in mind when I'm looking for a plow this fall!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I let my yard bag it. It'll thank you for the extra fertilizer.

But then again, I wished I had a bagger for mine because of the bare spots I still have (where the soil is bad). I'd used the bagged grass to cover the bald spots, so it won't dry out as fast.

Forum Newbie
Threads
But then again, I wished I had a bagger for mine because of the bare spots I still have (where the soil is bad). I'd used the bagged grass to cover the bald spots, so it won't dry out as fast.

I would kill to have this problem.. lol.. unfortunately, whenever we get a heavy rain, the yard saturates for days at a time. In the past two weeks, we've have an absorbent amount of rain. It took 10 days before I could start to attack it, and it grew to be about 14 inches high. :confused2: The neighbors complained about how much grass got on their property... ever see a mower throw an arc of grass like a snowblower? lol.
I'm really having a difficult time finding a bagger, I think my next step is to search craigslist for a used lawn sweeper... if I can find one for the right price.
Thank you again for all the help!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would kill to have this problem.. lol.. unfortunately, whenever we get a heavy rain, the yard saturates for days at a time. In the past two weeks, we've have an absorbent amount of rain. It took 10 days before I could start to attack it, and it grew to be about 14 inches high. :confused2: The neighbors complained about how much grass got on their property... ever see a mower throw an arc of grass like a snowblower? lol.
I'm really having a difficult time finding a bagger, I think my next step is to search craigslist for a used lawn sweeper... if I can find one for the right price.
Thank you again for all the help!

If you find a bagger, from the sound of how your yard is, you're going to be working a lot harder, than if you'd just mow it a couple more times. The extra mowing would mulch your grass a lot more.

Here's little tip you might try. In your lowest spot, get yourself an auger with extentions that will allow you to go 8ft or more. Dig down as far as you can go in those low spots. Fill the hole up to about 6inches from the top with pea gravel. Cover the rest with dirt.

I'm not sure what kind of soil you have. But it sounds like you may have a layer of clay, keeping the water on top, instead of soaking in. If you can dig past that layer of clay (or rock) and reach a sand layer, your problem should be solved or reduced drastically.

I tried digging a shallow well. I went about 25ft. At first it was normal soil. Then I hit clay at about 2 ft. I think there was about 4ft of that. Then sand again mixed with pea gravel. I never did hit water. Gonna try another spot when I get the time.