Starter Stays Engaded Even With Ignition Off

McKay420

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently dealing with a starter/starter solenoid issue with my dad's lawn mower. It is a 13hp John Deere LT133 with a Kohler engine. Nearly every time I start the mower, the starter stays engaged even when I turn the key to the off position. Even if the engine starts, it stays engaged. It does not make any grinding noises or anything, but the solenoid stays engaged so that the gear moves up and contacts the flywheel. You can also hear the starter motor whirring as it normally would. The only way I can get it to disengage and shut off is to release the clutch. Also, if the engine starts and I turn the key off, the engine will shut off, but the starter will still be going. It obviously stops if I disconnect the battery also. Am I just dealing with a wiring issue? Is there a switch on the clutch that is connected to the ignition switch somehow or is it all mechanical? I just removed the entire wiring assembly for inspection and the ignition switch looks horrible. I'm going to clean the contacts and maybe even try to disassemble the switch to clean the internal contacts as well. Any suggestions in the meantime?

1pep

Threads
Could be a bad key switch or solenoid. start by replacing the solenoid.

Agree the solenoid could be hanging, and not retracting the starter gear.

pep

Jcblack1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently dealing with a starter/starter solenoid issue with my dad's lawn mower. It is a 13hp John Deere LT133 with a Kohler engine. Nearly every time I start the mower, the starter stays engaged even when I turn the key to the off position. Even if the engine starts, it stays engaged. It does not make any grinding noises or anything, but the solenoid stays engaged so that the gear moves up and contacts the flywheel. You can also hear the starter motor whirring as it normally would. The only way I can get it to disengage and shut off is to release the clutch. Also, if the engine starts and I turn the key off, the engine will shut off, but the starter will still be going. It obviously stops if I disconnect the battery also. Am I just dealing with a wiring issue? Is there a switch on the clutch that is connected to the ignition switch somehow or is it all mechanical? I just removed the entire wiring assembly for inspection and the ignition switch looks horrible. I'm going to clean the contacts and maybe even try to disassemble the switch to clean the internal contacts as well. Any suggestions in the meantime?
I am having the exact same issue. I can’t get my star gear to disengage even manually with my fingers. The gear seems to be stuck in the up position. Any fix ideas

JMil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the solenoid part of the starter or is it a separate item? I am having the same problem and have to disconnect the battery (disconnecting the ignition switch did not solve the problem)

Marty2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the solenoid part of the starter or is it a separate item? I am having the same problem and have to disconnect the battery (disconnecting the ignition switch did not solve the problem)
I am having the same problem with the starter not shutting down when the engine is turned off, I've already replaced ignition, starter, and solenoid, but it shut down once properly and on the second use of the tractor, the starter kept running after shut off of the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try cleaning the shaft first. Compressed air or leaf blower. Take silicone spray, couple shots only. Work the gear several times. Blow off any buildup from the spray. Silicone spray dries up and doesn't stick around to attract dirt like PB Blaster penetrating spray for one example (any oil). Or wipe parts with an oily red shop towel then a clean dry towel.

Marty2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try cleaning the shaft first. Compressed air or leaf blower. Take silicone spray, couple shots only. Work the gear several times. Blow off any buildup from the spray. Silicone spray dries up and doesn't stick around to attract dirt like PB Blaster penetrating spray for one example (any oil). Or wipe parts with an oily red shop towel then a clean dry towel.
Thanks - will check shroud, starter is brand new from Kohler, seems to work fine.

Threads
Thanks - will check shroud, starter is brand new from Kohler, seems to work fine.
ignition switch could be bad unplug it after starting to find out if npt the starter could be tightened up unevenly or starter drive sticking

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am having the exact same issue. I can’t get my star gear to disengage even manually with my fingers. The gear seems to be stuck in the up position. Any fix ideas
Not sure you have the same problem
Your problem is the starter pinion or the bendix is worn so the teeth end up being point to point
Your solution which has nothing to do with a starter that will not turn off is either replace the pinion & activating mechanism or the entire starter .
Your fist problem is you have not bought the excellent JD technical manual or by now you would have solved the problem
According to the generic wiring diagram for a LT133 you should have an external starting solenoid with a purple wire & black at the base
The purple wire goes battery voltage when the key switch is in the start position
The black wire goes from open circuit to ground when the PTO switch is in the off position
So your first test is to check that these wires do that provided the rest of the mower is in the correct settings for starting
If this is the case then the solenoid is faulty and requires replacing / repairing.
Now the starting solenoid purple wire is controlled by the key switch alone so the next test is to remove the key switch and check for continuity between the purple wire terminal and the red ( battery power ) wire terminal
There should be none except when the key is in the start position
If this is not the case then the switch is faulty and needs replacing
IF the switch tests OK then do a voltage test on the purple wire when the switch is not plugged in
There should be no voltage
If there is then there is a short circuit or an incorrect connection.
The black wire should show ground only when the PTO switch is in the off position and be open circuit when the PTO switch is in the on position so you can not crank the engine with the blades engaged standing next to the mower with your toes under the deck .