Engine Cold starting problem - no fuel to carbs?

Relaxo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had a constant problem since inheriting this 2005 Ariens 1534. Once the engine starts, it runs fine and I can shut it off and restart it easily as long as the engine is still hot or warm. But when I first take it out of the shed, I can crank the starter forever and it will never fire. If I spray some gas directly into the carb (after removing the air filter), it starts right away. My first suspect is the vacuum fuel pump, but I don't know how to test it and don't want to buy one without knowing that's the problem. I'm thinking that there isn't enough suction from the starter motor, but once the engine actually starts, then it's fine. Does this sound right? Or could it be something with the carb's float bowl (does it even have one)?

Relaxo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just noticed a couple of similar postings under the repair forum. I posted this here because I thought this might be something specific to my Ariens / Kohler combination. Should this be moved there, or is it kosher to post this again over there as well?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
One post per problem is enough. That way all the answers are in one place.

Threads
Your choke is probably not closing all the way................

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Luffydog

Threads
Had one last year having the same issue the throttle and choke was the same lever you had to pull the throttle up to choke it. Might not be the same issue but worth it to look and it. Have to pull it straight up one the one I was working on to choke.