Toro Person pace drive not driving... belt ok, wheels spin both ways

Turbosaurus

Threads
  • / Toro Person pace drive not driving... belt ok, wheels spin both ways
I've never tried to fix a self propelled lawn mower before. My knowledge base basically includes cleaning carburetors and replacing fly wheels and snow blower belts/sheer pins.

Model # 20332 serial number 313 042185

Net net, is it isn't driving. The belt is in place and in good condition.

The cable appears to tighten the belt, but I can't be sure how tight it is- I don't want to pull an Elmer Fudd move and turn it over while its running to put my face in.. how do I go about checking to make sure its tight enough. I do not smell any burning rubber so could it be that the belt is either too loose or the gears have sheered off theeth (right? that's just a guess on my part-)

I can manually turn the wheels in both directions.

THe problem started when I accidentally ran over a piece of what I think was plastic twine that got wrapped around the rear axl.

Where do I go next? Any tips?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here are somethings to check to diagnosis your problem.
1. Personal Pace cable adjustment. Loosen the cable clamp on the left hand side of the handle and pull the cable down until they tight, tighten clamp and test drive. Drive, but wheels lock when pulling mower back, loosen clamp and pull cable up 1/8” and tighten. Try again, same result repeat. No drive, go to step 2.

2. If you are here there are three possible problems.

2A. Bad traction lever under the Personal Pace (PP) handle where the cable attaches. With the PP handle all the way back this lever should be pointing down. Remove the cable and see if you can move this lever back and forth without moving the handle, if you can it’s broken.

2B. Bad drive belt. These belts may look good, but are constantly in use and will wear. I replace about one every day. When was the last time it was replaced, they normally last about 3 years.

2C. Bad or worn blade adapter. The V-pulley on this part does wear and even with a new belt the PP will not drive. It also has a welded internal key which has been know to break.

3. Worn gear on your drive wheels. Normally you will hear a grinding noise when they go bad, but worth checking.

i doubt your tranny is bad and it will be one of these items. Except for the drive wheels, you need to be a bit mechanically inclined to repair on your own. Post back with your findings and I’ll try to provide more help.

Turbosaurus

Threads
Fabulous, I'm on it... Will check one at a time and report back. might be a couple days if I need parts. thank you.

I have a handful of machinery that isn't working, last summer I just didn't have time to worry about repairs, so I just borrowed my neighbor's machine, but its time to either fix them or toss them out. You'll probably see me put up other posts in the next 24 hours.

Turbosaurus

Threads
Bingo- it was the drive cable. I pulled it tight and we're in business. It didn't appear to have any slack in it, but after loosing the clamp and giving it a good tug, Its working great.

Thanks a million.