1st time ZT shopper some guidance on models to consider.

lamrith

Threads
  • / 1st time ZT shopper some guidance on models to consider.
1st time Zero Turn shopper some guidance on models to consider.

Well title says it all. I do not have a brand narrowed down yet, been trying to skim mfg sites and forums for a few days and head is starting to spin, seems like the options have increased 10fold since 2 years ago..

• Western WA, lot of rain, grass tends to grow fast and thick and be damp when mowing.
  • Last mower is/was Kubota T1560 (rear suspension), lasted 20yrs, 14hp, 44" stamped deck, deck powered bagger that clogs often due to above conditions.
  • 1acre flat but rough lawn (thinking suspen seat or tractor suspen is required to not get beat up)
  • budget $3-4K+bagger
  • Have the following brands at local dealers per the dealers website (not verified they carry ZT's for the brand):
    *Kubota and Exmark 10mi away (only had one exmark model and new salesman knew little about either brand. (I knew more from 4 days of research online)
    *Ariens, Ferris, Husqvarna, toro 15miles away (brands per store website)
    *Scag, Husqvarna (small dealer 3 miles away that used to have Cub a year ago.)
    *scag, JD, Hustler (10mi away small dealer)

My Wants:
  • Fabricated deck. Last mower was stamped but was super heavy construction.
  • Serviceable transmissions
  • suspended unit or seat.
  • deck cleanout? or are they gimmick, better to get a unit with a lift to spray under it?
  • ROPS - seems many of the cheap units do not have them, my ground is really flat, but safety 1st..?
  • Foot pedal deck lift.
  • 42-50" deck
  • I would like an engine that is serviceable and/or has a oil filter.

So I am hoping maybe for some guidance from those that have units from these mfg. I will say My heart leans to Kubota just because of how awesome the T1560 has been for durability and what I saw at the dealer today. They just seem to really nail the fit, finish and feel of a quality machine. But the guy at the dealer today just seemed clueless, heck he did not even ask me any questions, it was me asking to see the exmarks (took 15min to find as they had only kubota on display for Kubota Field day tomorrow and then they had one one model of exmark), then me making assumptions and asking him if I was correct about the kubota's he had out.

I know Home depot and Lowes folks will be clueless, so that is just a walk in and fondle the rigs a bit getting a gut feel for is they seem cheap or not.

Any specific models you folks recommend I look for to fit my price range and needs?

Last edited:

tbzep

Threads
From what I've read over the last year or so, a Scag with the velocity deck would handle your conditions better, however, your budget may limit you. I wish I had a Scag dealer close enough to me to compare with when I bought my ZT last year. Do your best to rustle up the funds to get something better than the big box store offerings.

When I bought last spring, several manufacturers had 0% interest 48 month payment plans, including Gravely (Ariens) which I ended up going with. Scag currently offers 0% for 48 and Hustler has 0% for 42 months. That sort of financing will let you get something a little better than a straight purchase or CC purchase. Check online and with your local dealers to see what they have going.

lamrith

Threads
So based on a little more reading I think I want:
  • deck cleanout? or are they gimmick, better to get a unit with a lift to spray under it?
  • ROPS - seems many of the cheap units do not have them, my ground is really flat, but safety 1st..?
  • Foot pedal deck lift.
  • 42-50" deck

From what I've read over the last year or so, a Scag with the velocity deck would handle your conditions better, however, your budget may limit you. I wish I had a Scag dealer close enough to me to compare with when I bought my ZT last year. Do your best to rustle up the funds to get something better than the big box store offerings.

When I bought last spring, several manufacturers had 0% interest 48 month payment plans, including Gravely (Ariens) which I ended up going with. Scag currently offers 0% for 48 and Hustler has 0% for 42 months. That sort of financing will let you get something a little better than a straight purchase or CC purchase. Check online and with your local dealers to see what they have going.

Yeah am not a fan of box stores for this sort of purchase. It honestly is very disappointing to see brands like JD and Cub only at box stores now. When I bought my Kubota and even 2-3 yrs ago those brand still had a premier brand label to them and had models exclusive to power equipment retailers versus the box stores. Seems the mass market people fell for the lesser built box store models so the Mfg dropped the small stores. Pretty sad to see honestly.

Yeah most of the brands have good financing right now, some also have sales going on for memorial day. Not the best time of year since the season its now in full swing, but I need to get something before my existing one totally pukes and I am stuck with nothing. My gut is telling me she only has a few mows left and grass can grow a couple inches a week here this time of year.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You've got to narrow it down somewhat or you'll be stricken with the dreaded disease which afflicts people, engineers in particular--Analysis Paralysis.

Here are the brands I would look at, in no particular order:

Scag
Gravely
Kubota

Your list will probably be different. Mine is based upon what is available locally with no Big Box Store competition.

Go look at them. Mow with them, if possible. At least sit on them to see if your butt fits one seat better than another. No need to even ask selling price when you're looking; just generally what models are available for less than XXXX dollars.

Then ask your self, "If they all cost exactly the same, which one would I choose?" That way, you get what you want.

Then find out what your choice costs and strike the best deal you can with the dealer.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I would skip the big box stores. They will sell one to you, but they do not service them, so you will be going to the dealer for warranty work, so I would buy from them. Look at the warranty lengths on the mowers. Some are 2 year, some 3 and some go up to 5 or 6 years. I looked at Scag, Hustler and Husqvarna. Ruled out Husqvarna based on dealer recommendations, both the Scag and Hustler dealer used to sell them, and dropped them due to warranty issues. In the end, I really liked the Scags, but they were more than I was willing to pay for a mower. I went with a Hustler and have been happy with it. I wish it would mow faster (Raptor SD mows at 7mph), but I needed to spend more money to get more speed.

lamrith

Threads
Thanks guys that is all good information. So I will adjust my list.

Basics for my location:
  • Western WA, lot of rain, grass tends to grow fast and thick and be damp when mowing.
  • Last mower is/was Kubota T1560 (rear suspension), lasted 20yrs, 14hp, 44" stamped deck, deck powered bagger that clogs often due to above conditions.
  • 1acre flat but rough lawn (thinking suspen seat or tractor suspen is required to not get beat up)
  • budget $3-4K+bagger
  • Have the following brands at local dealers per the dealers website (not verified they carry ZT's for the brand):
    *Kubota and Exmark 10mi away (only had one exmark model and new salesman knew little about either brand. (I knew more from 4 days of research online)
    *Ariens, Ferris, Husqvarna, toro 15miles away (brands per store website)
    *Scag, Husqvarna (small dealer 3 miles away that used to have Cub a year ago.)
    *scag, JD, Hustler (10mi away small dealer)

My Wants:
  • Foot pedal deck lift.
  • 42-50" deck

I would skip the big box stores. They will sell one to you, but they do not service them, so you will be going to the dealer for warranty work, so I would buy from them. Look at the warranty lengths on the mowers. Some are 2 year, some 3 and some go up to 5 or 6 years. I looked at Scag, Hustler and Husqvarna. Ruled out Husqvarna based on dealer recommendations, both the Scag and Hustler dealer used to sell them, and dropped them due to warranty issues. In the end, I really liked the Scags, but they were more than I was willing to pay for a mower. I went with a Hustler and have been happy with it. I wish it would mow faster (Raptor SD mows at 7mph), but I needed to spend more money to get more speed.

The speed thing I think will be a huge improvement, both mow speed and probably blade speed. My existing rig is only 14hp with a 42 deck. Seems like all the current 42" decks are up over 20hp, even the tractors like a new model year replacement for my existing one. I think that is bringing the blade tip speed up which makes a powered bagger less important? I know my existing rig, even if I was not bagging could not mow at 7mph, be lucky to see 4mph probably.

Good info on Husqvarna as well thanks. Only contact I had with them was 15yrs ago when I was assembling them for Lowes as an outside vendor.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree on skipping the big box stores for a better overall long-term experience with your mower. I suggest that you see if you can check out a Scag Liberty at the dealer 3 miles away and upfit it with a suspension seat.

Bagging sucks! Gator G5 and G6 blades are high lift mulching blades that strike a good balance between mulching, cut quality and discharge velocity for a mulching mow while discharging.

I'd up your budget a bit. You seem to be wanting a $5 to $6k mower on a $3 to $4k budget.

lamrith

Threads
Agree on skipping the big box stores for a better overall long-term experience with your mower. I suggest that you see if you can check out a Scag Liberty at the dealer 3 miles away and upfit it with a suspension seat.

Bagging sucks! Gator G5 and G6 blades are high lift mulching blades that strike a good balance between mulching, cut quality and discharge velocity for a mulching mow while discharging.

I'd up your budget a bit. You seem to be wanting a $5 to $6k mower on a $3 to $4k budget.

I did run over there before they closed today and funny you should mention it, they have a Liberty Z "4821" which is a new one for 2018. $4599 base unit. Brochure says Hydro's (TX2800) have filters as does engine which is nice. They fired the unit up and I was able to putter around at idle in the parking lot. They do not have a grass area to test it in and super small parking lot so honestly it was a bit of a pointless test overall. Control felt good, nice and smooth transitions from fwd to rev, easy to modulate. They literally only had one unit for SCAG, said more on the way and they have been unable to keep them in stock. Interesting idea on teh seat. I had mentioned wanting a suspension seat and he said I had to jump up to lot more expensive model. Doing an upgrade would be a nice option.

Bagging is life right now at our place with how thick and wet it always is. Whenever we do not bag it is just a complete mess and clumpy all over the place. If we could do without bagging and not track grass into the house all the time we would skip the hassle for sure. Often we do not go into the back half of the property daily though, so I am wondering if we could just bag front and mulch the back.. more to think about...

You could be right on the budget, seems the suspended seat especially means higher price point for sure.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dealer swapped out the seat on my Bob-Cat with the suspension seat from a more expensive unit for $250. Don't know if that's an option as far as fit in your case. If not there are after market suspension platforms (bases) available for many mower seats.

I'm in Connecticut nearby you, mow 30 lawns commercially and rarely bag. With the speed and agility of a Zero-Turn mower it's pretty quick to do a second pass on areas with heavy accumulations of clippings to chop them up and disperse them and get the same appearance as bagging. Granted, this time of year does have me bagging some of my high-end lawns.

tbzep

Threads
Go to ebay and search "Scag Seat Warehouse". $139.95 shipped.
If you want to read reviews for it, look up "seat suspension kit" on Amazon.