1st time ZT shopper some guidance on models to consider.

lamrith

Threads
  • / 1st time ZT shopper some guidance on models to consider.
What I sometimes do is mow the whole lawn discharging, then cut the heavy areas again bagging but with the deck 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher. Just letting the clippings set out and dry for a little while makes a big difference and raising up a little gets most of the grass but cuts down on volume significantly.
Good idea, I will def keep that in mind. Thanks!:thumbsup:

I still like the Liberty for you but if the ride quality won't work for you it's understandable. Do you have a Toro dealer? They have a machine with a suspended operator platform.
I saw that platform and thought it looked interesting also, but I had written Toro off as it looked like they were a HomeDepot/Lowes carried product and I wanted an actual dealership for support. I think the Ferris dealer is also Toro now that I look at Toro website. The closer branch I went to did not have any Toro that I could see, but they are very small (400S was the only Ferris they had). The north store is the big location that is the warehouse.

I am curious what has you recommend the Toro over the other ones I have looked at? Are you talking the Timecutter 48 or the Timecutter HD 48?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've read a lot of complaints about Ferris cut quality and scalping problems.

Was thinking maybe one of these but know little about them. Edit - can't get link to work. Seems like a cool concept. Engine is proprietary, manufactured in China by Loncin but I've only heard good things about them. So really just another option to further confuse your decision making process, lol. I was thinking of the "my ride" suspension and yeah maybe the 48hd.

RajunCajun

Threads
I like the idea of suspension on the mower (Ferris) but I have read a few reviews the the suspension
allows the mower frame to move too much causing mower deck to “float” too much causing uneven cut.
Just something I read. My cut is perfect on the rigid frame Snapper 360Z 25/52” I just purchased. (has ZT2800s)

058CDE34-E9B5-4F3F-BB5E-35C7DDB92603.jpg.

lamrith

Threads
I've read a lot of complaints about Ferris cut quality and scalping problems.

Was thinking maybe one of these but know little about them. Edit - can't get link to work. Seems like a cool concept. Engine is proprietary, manufactured in China by Loncin but I've only heard good things about them. So really just another option to further confuse your decision making process, lol. I was thinking of the "my ride" suspension and yeah maybe the 48hd.

I heard about scalping on the ferris to. When I looked further into it the responses I saw mentioned it said it was mostly limited to the higher end models with true dual arm independent front suspensions (not single pivoting arm like the 400-700 series) and that with proper spring adjustment it was non an issue, who knows the real truth on that. but again I appreciate the heads up on the issue.

Yes the My Ride caught my eye initially as well, and Toro had a HD model with it down in the $4000 price point. No worries Darryl, it does not take much to confuse my decision making these days.

lamrith

Threads
So would any of you consider only getting the B&S engine a deal breaker? Both being the same price, do you wait a month+ for a Kawa, or is the B&S fine give that I am a home owner and not mowing all day every day for a living?

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neighbor has a new Simplicity w 23 hp Briggs. It has less than 15 hours on the V-twin Briggs, but oil is weeping from about every place imaginable.

Me, well I like my Kawasaki for my home owner use. So my choice is biased.

lamrith

Threads
Well the decision has been made and financing approved. I went with the Ferris 400S, got a great deal on one with the Briggs Commercial motor. Saved me a bunch so I will be $4400otd. Just have to wait for the dealer to get it in and deliver it, they are saying 2 weeks.

Now I just need to patch the Kubota up with some ducktape and JB weld to get it thru 2 more weeks of hard labor, then off to it's retirement home.

tbzep

Threads
Well the decision has been made and financing approved. I went with the Ferris 400S, got a great deal on one with the Briggs Commercial motor. Saved me a bunch so I will be $4400otd. Just have to wait for the dealer to get it in and deliver it, they are saying 2 weeks.

Now I just need to patch the Kubota up with some ducktape and JB weld to get it thru 2 more weeks of hard labor, then off to it's retirement home.
Nice... Put that Kubota on Craigslist. You'd be surprised what folks will pay for a beat up, worn out machine as long as it still runs and half way cuts.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

What? Pretty sure I said to buy the Scag Liberty! Lol, congratulations! Feels good to have made a decision and be done with the search, doesn't it? Best wishes for you and your new machine. It would be nice to hear your impressions, trials and tribulations with it after you get some seat time on it. It does seem like that put a lot of commercial features on the 400s at a very competitive price point.

lamrith

Threads
What? Pretty sure I said to buy the Scag Liberty! Lol, congratulations! Feels good to have made a decision and be done with the search, doesn't it? Best wishes for you and your new machine. It would be nice to hear your impressions, trials and tribulations with it after you get some seat time on it. It does seem like that put a lot of commercial features on the 400s at a very competitive price point.

HAHA yeah always been told I do not listen so good..

It was totally a suspension+ feature for $ buy for sure. The improvement over the old Kubota should be pretty amazing, it will be a learning curve for sure being our 1st Zero turn.