yard machine engine swap

florida863

Forum Newbie
Threads
HELP can i put a briggs 18.5 off a troy bilt on a yard machine with a 38 inch deck.
would i need to change the belts pulley ect. thanks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF both engines are a Briggs, AND the crankshaft DIAMETERS AND lengths are the same You SHOULD be able to use the stack-pulley and belt from the ORIGINAL engine, and the engine should bolt right in, MIGHT have some minor wiring issues but you can get that straightened out, the stack pulley might just be a match also, better yet ! but if you're changing the brand of engine, you MIGHT open a box of headaches, POST the COMPLETE numbers from BOTH engines and I'm sure we can assist in your quest. .. :thumbsup:

Both mowers are made by MTD, ... one VERY IMPORTANT thing, ... IF you do this .... be sure to take TON'S of pic's .. they wil be immensely invaluable, as engine swaps are not in the manuals, therefore THEY become your memory and guide especially if distractions occur.

florida863

Forum Newbie
Threads
IF both engines are a Briggs, AND the crankshaft DIAMETERS AND lengths are the same You SHOULD be able to use the stack-pulley and belt from the ORIGINAL engine, and the engine should bolt right in, MIGHT have some minor wiring issues but you can get that straightened out, the stack pulley might just be a match also, better yet ! but if you're changing the brand of engine, you MIGHT open a box of headaches, POST the COMPLETE numbers from BOTH engines and I'm sure we can assist in your quest. .. :thumbsup:

Both mowers are made by MTD, ... one VERY IMPORTANT thing, ... IF you do this .... be sure to take TON'S of pic's .. they wil be immensely invaluable, as engine swaps are not in the manuals, therefore THEY become your memory and guide especially if distractions occur.

Thanks for your reply the yard machine has a tecumseh 13.5 model 13a1762f029, 38" cut.blown up. The 18.5 is a troy bilt briggs, 13j609g766 42" cut The deck on the troy bilt is shot. Could I put the deck off the yard machine on the troy bilt easier maybe? I'm at a loss being a female at 70 years young I do all my repair work Tom boy growing up not scared to tackle anything thing.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, the model number for the yardman is good, BUT recheck the Troybilt model numbers.... somethings NOT right !!
Also, those numbers are the MOWERS Model numbers, We need the number from the ENGINES also ... usually found right on the engine itself. see examples ......... click on the links

find_model.JPG...model-locator-briggs-and-stratton.jpg .......... click to enlarge

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/tecumseh-model-locator.aspx