HRX217HXA motor revs up good, sputters down, then revs up again

socker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRX217HXA motor revs up good, sputters down, then revs up again
Hi, my mower will run great for 10 seconds, then sputter down, cough a little black smoke, then rev up again, run good for 10 seconds, then repeats. The old carb was doing this, so I put a new carb on yesterday. The mower is still doing this revving up, sputtering down, revving up again, over and over. Does the carb need adjusting? other issue?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you might have a "gremlin" in the fuel system, MY procedure, is to THOROUGHLY clean the ENTIRE fuel system, inside of gas-tank= IMMACULATE, fuel lines, and filter replaced, fuel shut-off valve, SUPER cleaning OR replaced, THEN either an EXCEPTIONAL cleaning or O/H of the carb. one final step, be absolutely sure your gas-can ( the one you use to fill the machine(s) ... double-triple check that too, I've O/H carbs for folks, only to find out their recurring problem was caused by &@#$%$#@ in their gas-can, something usually over-looked. ..:thumbsup:

socker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you describe the procedure and what chemicals you use to clean the gas tank, carb, and fuel lines?

Ava.Feret

Threads
Is this a auto choke or a manual choke.
To remove the gas tank take the 3 10mm nuts from the starter . Remove the starter then the gas tank.
Yo do not need any chemicals for the tank. A good washing with water and let it dry.
If you replaced the carburetor you should be able to also replace or clean the lines.

HRX217HZA

Threads
At risk of being captain obvious, you have checked the basics as well right? Air Filter / Spark Plug / Fresh Gas...