Engaging deck Blades

tbzep

Threads
You mean YOUR manual for YOUR mower says to engage at low speeds.
However we can only assume Weed Whisperer has a Gravely because he listed it in his profle.
But which model is currently unknown so what speed is currently unknown.

What is universal however is you should engage the blades with the deck set to whichever height has the deck & drive pulleys as close to in line as possible.
I think you should cool your jets and read the thread. He has a Gravely ZT HD 48, which has the exact same manual as my Gravely ZT HD 52.

Weed Whisperer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do have a gravely zt hd 48". So far I engage the blades without a load on them. I am engaging them at full throttle and disengaging at low rpms. One dealer told me engage/disengage at high rpm to prevent possible belts from popping off.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am engaging them at full throttle and disengaging at low rpms.

That is exactly the opposite of what I would recommend. I've got a 24 y/o Cub Cadet with electric clutch and haven't had a problem with it yet.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The operator's manual for the Gravely ZT HD says to set the throttle to low before engaging the PTO and to disengage it at full throttle.

Again, recommendations will vary depending on the machine.

Mr. Ed

Threads
gravely zt hd 48

The proper technique is whatever the manual for your specific mower recommends. I usually engage mine at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, which is basically as low as possible without straining/stalling the mower. Recommendations will vary.

The operator's manual for the Gravely ZT HD says to set the throttle to low before engaging the PTO and to disengage it at full throttle.

Again, recommendations will vary depending on the machine.

I have the same machine as the OP, and engage the blades at the lowest RPM possible to avoid stalling the engine. Seems like it will lessen the shock load of engagement, and might help belt and the clutch last longer.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same machine as the OP, and engage the blades at the lowest RPM possible to avoid stalling the engine. Seems like it will lessen the shock load of engagement, and might help belt and the clutch last longer.

Do as you please, but that's contrary to the machine manufacturer's recommendation. You should have good reason to ignore a manufacturer recommendation, not just speculation, but I do the same on both my Exmark and my Bob-Cat. 1900 hours on the original Exmark clutch.

Mr. Ed

Threads
Do as you please, but that's contrary to the machine manufacturer's recommendation. You should have good reason to ignore a manufacturer recommendation, not just speculation, but I do the same on both my Exmark and my Bob-Cat. 1900 hours on the original Exmark clutch.

I think we must have different manuals, or else I misunderstood your post. If so, I apologize in advance. Here's a screen capture of the manual where it says to set throttle to SLOW SPEED and then pull up the PTO:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 5.43.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 5.43.59 PM.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 9

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Edit:. Appears i misunderstood. Same as I read and do on my machines except I disengage at low rpms too whereas they recommend disengaging at full throttle.