Help finding baffling oil leak Briggs 26 hp v twin

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Bad Boy mower with a 26 hp Briggs v twin that developed a rather sudden oil leak when I went to use it a couple of weeks ago. It initially looked like it was leaking below the manifold or slightly left of it, but after little cleaning it looked like it was coming from somewhere on the right side, coming down somewhere below the right head. It only leaks when running and while warm after running. I think oil is getting into exhaust also because it smokes and smells like burned oil when it starts to leak. I've replaced both head gaskets and valve cover gaskets and it still leaks. I've pulled the breather off -- I can't tell whether it's shot or not. I cleaned the tube and put a paper towel over it and sucked and blew into it. It seemed like it was only allowing flow in the one direction but, again, I can't really tell . The gasket for the breather was shot and was in pieces when I pulled it, if that makes any difference. I haven't yet put that back on because I need another gasket and I guess I'll go ahead and get a new breather. Before I resorted to pulling the breather I watched it run with as many shrouds and ancillaries pulled and I see drips below the right head, landing just to the left of the oil sender switch. I still can't see where it's leaking but it almost seems like the drips are coming an inch or two behind the head gasket area. What else is there to leak in that area? I replaced that head gasket, but I did not machine/mill/true the head. Could the head be warped? Could the block be warped? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks,

Grant

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be a possibility of a leaking sump gasket.

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I considered that, but isn’t the sump gasket below the oil filter? This is definitely leaking from somewhere above the level of the oil filter, it’s coming down from below the head area on that side.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sump gasket is above the top edge of the oil filter mounting flange on the vertical engines.

Jml

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help finding baffling oil leak Briggs 26 hp v twin
Hey Grant. Did you ever find the leak? I have an oil leak on the same engine - when running and for awhile after. I'm not sure if you meant the "right side" looking from the front or the rear. Mine is on the opposite side of the oil filter. I thought it was where the sump hose attaches to the engine, but it seems to be leaking the engine down from above it.

-John

I have a Bad Boy mower with a 26 hp Briggs v twin that developed a rather sudden oil leak when I went to use it a couple of weeks ago. It initially looked like it was leaking below the manifold or slightly left of it, but after little cleaning it looked like it was coming from somewhere on the right side, coming down somewhere below the right head. It only leaks when running and while warm after running. I think oil is getting into exhaust also because it smokes and smells like burned oil when it starts to leak. I've replaced both head gaskets and valve cover gaskets and it still leaks. I've pulled the breather off -- I can't tell whether it's shot or not. I cleaned the tube and put a paper towel over it and sucked and blew into it. It seemed like it was only allowing flow in the one direction but, again, I can't really tell . The gasket for the breather was shot and was in pieces when I pulled it, if that makes any difference. I haven't yet put that back on because I need another gasket and I guess I'll go ahead and get a new breather. Before I resorted to pulling the breather I watched it run with as many shrouds and ancillaries pulled and I see drips below the right head, landing just to the left of the oil sender switch. I still can't see where it's leaking but it almost seems like the drips are coming an inch or two behind the head gasket area. What else is there to leak in that area? I replaced that head gasket, but I did not machine/mill/true the head. Could the head be warped? Could the block be warped? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks,

Grant

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it turned out it was leaking around the gasket around the sump. Tore it all down and replaced last year and it hasn’t leaked a drop since.

Jml

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I just watched Taryl's video on replacing the sump gasket. That looks exactly like where my leak is coming from. Woohoo! I picked up the mower for $20 at the dump. Couldn't believe it. Looks perfect. Everything works, just has that leak and needs a new light wire harness. I'll order the new gasket tomorrow. You rock, man.