Canadian model MTD Yardworks 13DD678G515

DanTech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I recently acquired a 2003 (MTD) YardWorks riding mower. YardWorks is a Canadian brand of MTD. Its got a 42in deck 7 speed Shift on The Go trans, and a 17hp Briggs and Stratton Intek. It starts and runs fine, but its slower than a turtle hauling a cinder block. MTD hasn't been any help because the model seems to be exclusive to Canada. I contacted MTD Canada who were kind enough to give me some part numbers for belts. Took those part numbers to the local dealer, and they weren't even close. The Canadian model number is 13DD678G515 and my serial number is 3C142I30069.
The belts on this thing look original so I'd like to start by replacing them if I can find replacements. As far as it being so slow, I'm thinking that there is something going on with the vari-drive pulley. The shift lever has no resistance after 3rd gear, and with the centre plate removed, I can watch the idler pulley move when I move the speed selector from 1 through 3, then it doesn't move any further after that. Am i on the right track to thinking it may be a stuck vari-drive pulley? I'll try and remove it after work tonight and get a look.
Sorry for all the questions, this is my first riding mower, and I'd like to get if functional for at least this season, and buy something bigger next year.

Dan

DanTech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Made some progress, I pulled the vari-drive pulley off and sure enough it was stuck. I freed it up and cleaned it up and got it up and running. One thing I'd never noticed before was that the brake pedal, or clutch pedal doesn't ever fully release.