Mower
    JOHN DEER

CUB CADET 13 HP KOHLER COMAND OHV ENGINE

I DRAINED THE TANK - CHANGED THE OIL BECAUSE IT HAD GAS IN IT -- IT IS BACKFIRING THROUGH THE EXHAUST -- I CLEANED THE CARB BOWL ETC COULD THIS THING BE OUT OF TIME I WAS NOT CUTTING GRASS JUST HAULING TWIGS IN THE CART IT STARTED SMOKING BLUE SMOKE AND THEN JUST CAME TO A STOP ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE TIMING I NEVER HAD THE MOTOR APART THIS TRACTOR HAS LOW HOURS ON IT

Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

Re: CUB CADET 13 HP KOHLER COMAND OHV ENGINE

You said that you cleaned the fuel bowl. but did you find and repair the reason for the float valve not sealing.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar/Makita, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Brute, Honda, Subaru
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Karcher, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, American Landmaster, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Generac portable/DR power and others.

Mower
    MTD - Yard-Man

Sounds like the backfiring was caused by either a sheared flywheel keyway or out of adjustment valves, and this may have caused a blown headgasket resulting in smoking and engine shutdown.

Mower
    JOHN DEER

Quote Originally Posted by dfbroxy View Post
    Sounds like the backfiring was caused by either a sheared flywheel keyway or out of adjustment valves, and this may have caused a blown headgasket resulting in smoking and engine shutdown.
    That what it seems to me , never had one of these engines apart but i have to repair it i have to pull the motor to get to the flywheel . changed many keyways on push mowers , my helpers just loved to try to grind up rocks . will check the compression then figure how to get the motor out

Mower
    JOHN DEER

Quote Originally Posted by ILENGINE View Post
    You said that you cleaned the fuel bowl. but did you find and repair the reason for the float valve not sealing.
    I took the carb off cleaned it blew it out with air it had some water and dirt in the bowl checked to see that the float was working and not sticking , i will check compression today check the seat in the bowl again before i pull the engine