Auto feed help

mikehouse

Threads
Ok,i've got the FS 70rc weedeater.Works fantastic.My feed head is a c 23-2 autofeed.So to advance line,should i
a) tap and then speed up or
b)speed up and then tap?
Neith seems to work for me.But if i push i the head manully,it's fine.I'm sure my techique sucks.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure which head I have on my Stihl trimmer but in general tap with it at speed.

Sometimes the springs for bump feed heads get compressed and sometimes dirt gets in them. I give the springs a little pull to stretch them back out and clean any accumulated dirt out periodically.

Threads
High speed then bump the feed head.... If not then your string is tangled inside the head.... Or the line is not installed the right way...... Or you have line/string that is toooo big for your head.......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, that too, or sometimes the string will weld together a bit, get stuck and not spool out.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, cheap string will weld more often. I use Echo Cross-Fire string. Never had a weld issue.

Yes agree about Revved up & then bump to advance string.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
AND ...... when ya get a few extra "sheckles" put aside, ... think about gettin a "Speed-Feed" head .. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AND ...... when ya get a few extra "sheckles" put aside, ... think about gettin a "Speed-Feed" head .. :thumbsup:

Or a dragnon fly head that takes precut lengths.
In the long run they use or rather don't waste any where near as much line as bump heads, the line never tangles, they are lighter, never jamb and cut closer to the ground without having a very steep attack angle so can cut flat to within an inch of the ground, nothing to break nothing to wear out.
Down side is of course the width of the cut progressively shortens till you decide to replace the line.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, cheap string will weld more often. I use Echo Cross-Fire string. Never had a weld issue.

Yes agree about Revved up & then bump to advance string.
I keep coming back to the Echo Cross-Fire string myself. I like how it cuts and it's fairly tough/durable. I run the 095 in my loop handle trimmers for my regular mowing route and 105 in my Sthil bike handlebar trimmer that I use for less regular trimming duties.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And using line that is too thick for the size of the engine will cause the line to weld together a lot more .
And it is actually a friction weld, that is just how easily plastic can weld.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
And using line that is too thick for the size of the engine will cause the line to weld together a lot more .
And it is actually a friction weld, that is just how easily plastic can weld.

Don't doubt what you're saying but rather than scratch a hole in my head trying to figure out why that would be true, care to share some insight on how that would cause welding? Why would an engine that's too small cause friction/welding down at the head?